Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Macrium Reflect Pro won't open.

Opening Macrium Reflect Pro v 5 in order to image my Dell Inspiron 660 64 bit running Win 8.1.1 and discovering a Macrium update, I downloaded and installed it. I closed Macrium whilst reformatting the rescue USB drive in preparation for the updated version, but when ready to proceed MR would not open.

After several unsuccessful attempts to open it, I uninstalled, downloaded and reinstalled it, but it still will not open. Each time ‘search for a solution online and close’ is selected, a barograph appears for a short time then disappears, leaving just the desktop.

Hopefully someone here can suggest what to do next, as Macrium appear not to have a help service.

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,159 Times in 1,067 Posts
    I can't offer specific advice on your situation, especially regarding the recovery of the current situation. If I faced that myself, I would probably remove the app and reinstall it.

However, I would suggest that you should not immediately install any new versions that come around. Your imaging app is an essential component of your safety net and so it should not be treated just as another update. I think you need to be sure that the new version will work and that new features justify upgrading. In any case, I would always image before upgrading such an essential component of your safety net, which would allow going back to a functioning system, in case the upgrade doesn't go as well as you would like.

I would also advise to play carefully with the recreation of boot disks. Minor version upgrades do not justify boot disk recreation and maybe even major versions do not require it. The role of the boot disk is to get you to an environment where you can restore existing images in case of emergency. That doesn't change so often. You can always keep your boot disk and try a boot after creating an image with a new version, to see if the boot disk can handle the image.

I think the overall point I am trying to convey is that imaging is so relevant, system wise, that it should be upgraded with the utmost care and not all upgrades need to be applied immediately, unless your current version has some bug that is affecting your usage.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

georgelee (2014-08-04)

Thanks
    George,

First, you do not need to reformat the rescue media as Macrium will take care of that when it writes the new version.

I would do this:
    1. Remove the Rescue Media.
    2. Use Revo Uninstaller Free (or Pro if you have it) to uninstall Macrium making sure you delete all items it offers.
    3. Redownload Macrium from the Macrium site.
    4. Install Macrium and make sure it boots (If you have the Pro Version of Revo install using it).
    5. Start Macrium and if it starts then insert your recovery media.
    6. Create new recovery media via the menus.

Report back and let us know how it goes.

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

6. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

georgelee (2014-08-04)

4 Star Lounger
    Hillsborough (San Francisco Bay area), California, USA
    Thanks
    Macrium appear not to have a help service
    Actually, they have a very responsive & helpful Forum.

Zig

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I second what Zig said above. I have personally found them very responsive and helpful.

Dick

Thanks
    This sounds like it could be related to the thread you have going concerning your VLC update?
    Maybe you have a problem with your OS, or some other form of corruption related to installation;

Check through your event viewer's admin log for errors.

sfc /scannow
    To See and Read the SFC /SCANNOW Scan Results

Can't install an updated VLC player?, can't install Macrium?
    Are you able to install anything else?
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2014-08-04 at 12:04.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Zig View Post
    Actually, they have a very responsive & helpful Forum.

Zig
    Where is it. Have used one of the other PCs but am unable to find it.

Thanks
    BATcher

Dear Diary, today the Hundred Years War started ...

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    CLiNT, thanks for the advice.

As the issues with Macrium and VLC apply to different PCs it will be necessary to try your suggestions on both.

What started as a day with not a lot to do has turned in to a nightmare.

George.

4 Star Lounger
    Hillsborough (San Francisco Bay area), California, USA
    Thanks
    Where is it.
    http://support.macrium.com/

Zig

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Many thanks Zig.

I had been looking for it in the programme itself.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    CLiNT,
    It looks as though this PC – only 9 months old – is a real mess.

Event Viewer’s summary shows a mass of information, mostly incomprehensible to me, but I notice there were 16 warnings in the last 24 hours, and 147 in the past 7 days. The vast majority relate to DeviceSetupManager, event ID 122, there were a group from EMET, id 41, and others such as wininet, kernel Pnp, etc.

Scannow also found errors it could not rectify, but the details as to what they were was very vague.

It looks to me as though a complete reinstall of Windows is going to be necessary. I would have restored last month’s image, in the hope that the errors are of recent origin, but with Macrium not working, and having wiped the rescue disk, I don’t see how to accomplish that.

There has been no reply from the Macrium forum.

In future I shall keep Rui's warning in mind.
    Last edited by georgelee; 2014-08-05 at 15:36. Reason: Added a final sentence.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    UPDATE
    Macrium finally replied to my email. MR v 5.3.7086 was a major update and has caused some systems running Antimalware from Avast, Malwarebytes or Emsisoft to hang or not open. The remedy for me was to add the following application rules to Emsisoft:

c:\program files\macrium\reflect\reflect.exe', choose 'All Allowed' and click 'OK':
    Repeat for file 'C:\Program Files\Macrium\Reflect\ReflectService.exe'.

Unfortunately this did not work. Uninstalling Emsisoft enabled Macrium to function as normal, which ended as soon as Emsisoft was restored. I did wonder whether it had anything to do with using upper case for one rule and lower for the other, but experimenting with all four possible permutations made no difference.

There followed a series of emails, in which I was instructed to try something I had already told them had been done – seems to be common with Support staff. They ignored my comment there must be some difference between a hang or not opening, and the more definite message I received every time that ‘Emsisoft has stopped working’, implying something more serious.

I pointed out that the folder c:\program files\macrium\reflect does not contain any .exe files
    on my system, so the rules had to be typed into Emsisoft rather than browsed to. Their reply was that they must exist somewhere or MR would not be there. I can only say they are well hidden, as they are not in the Programs folder.

Stalemate until I asked if it was possible to revert to a version prior to 5.3.7086. Within hours there was a reply with a link to the latest version, issued that day. Installing that and adding the two rules made no difference.

Repeating the question about an earlier version did the trick. They supplied the link, it was installed, everything worked, I made a new image and created a rescue disk.

Reporting the successful result to them, and asking “Should I now add the new rules to Emsisoft and update to the current version, or would it be advisable to wait a few weeks, by which time you may have sorted everything out?” produced the ultimate cop out:

“I'm afraid we do not supply or support Emsisoft Antimalware. Please contact them for further support.”

Emsisoft have not even replied to last week’s email.

I will wait a bit, in anticipation of the same problem recurring if I update, and I’m getting tired of removing and reinstalling MR. In the meantime I shall download a free version of Eaeus, or similar, and create another image, as a precaution against further problems.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,159 Times in 1,067 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by georgelee View Post
    UPDATE
    Macrium finally replied to my email. MR v 5.3.7086 was a major update and has caused some systems running Antimalware from Avast, Malwarebytes or Emsisoft to hang or not open. The remedy for me was to add the following application rules to Emsisoft:

c:\program files\macrium\reflect\reflect.exe', choose 'All Allowed' and click 'OK':
    Repeat for file 'C:\Program Files\Macrium\Reflect\ReflectService.exe'.

Unfortunately this did not work. Uninstalling Emsisoft enabled Macrium to function as normal, which ended as soon as Emsisoft was restored. I did wonder whether it had anything to do with using upper case for one rule and lower for the other, but experimenting with all four possible permutations made no difference.

There followed a series of emails, in which I was instructed to try something I had already told them had been done – seems to be common with Support staff. They ignored my comment there must be some difference between a hang or not opening, and the more definite message I received every time that ‘Emsisoft has stopped working’, implying something more serious.

I pointed out that the folder c:\program files\macrium\reflect does not contain any .exe files
    on my system, so the rules had to be typed into Emsisoft rather than browsed to. Their reply was that they must exist somewhere or MR would not be there. I can only say they are well hidden, as they are not in the Programs folder.

Stalemate until I asked if it was possible to revert to a version prior to 5.3.7086. Within hours there was a reply with a link to the latest version, issued that day. Installing that and adding the two rules made no difference.

Repeating the question about an earlier version did the trick. They supplied the link, it was installed, everything worked, I made a new image and created a rescue disk.

Reporting the successful result to them, and asking “Should I now add the new rules to Emsisoft and update to the current version, or would it be advisable to wait a few weeks, by which time you may have sorted everything out?” produced the ultimate cop out:

“I'm afraid we do not supply or support Emsisoft Antimalware. Please contact them for further support.”

Emsisoft have not even replied to last week’s email.

I will wait a bit, in anticipation of the same problem recurring if I update, and I’m getting tired of removing and reinstalling MR. In the meantime I shall download a free version of Eaeus, or similar, and create another image, as a precaution against further problems.
    Have you tried Emsisoft's support forum? It is usually the fastest way to get help (I never even emailed their support, but have posted in the forum quite a few times)?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Rui,
    No, sending an email seemed simpler than working out which section of the forum would be appropriate, but I will give it a try. However, now the main problem has been resolved, they don't really appear best placed to decide how long it will take Macrium to resolve any remaining issues, or whether they have in fact already done so. That was my reason for describing M's last reply as a cop out.

I did wonder at times whether Online Armor might have been the problem, but it appears not to be the case.

George
    Last edited by georgelee; 2014-08-11 at 18:20. Reason: changed 'is' to was

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast