Thread: office 2003

Lounger
    Thanks

office 2003

I just got a new PC, a Lenovo with WIN 8.1. I have Office 2003 which is the only one that I paid for. Is there any way to force present docs to open with 2003 instead of 2007 or 2010? Do I need to uninstall the newer ones?

Joe

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If you get a docx or xlsx from the newer version of Office, you can open them in 2003 but will be missing any features used in the newer versions of Word or Excel. If (probably it won't) 2003 won't open them directly, you can use the compatibility pak from MS. Note: support for 2003 has ended.

See Microsoft for details: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/924074

Thanks
    Is Office 2007 or 2010 already preinstalled on your new PC?

Do you have any .docx files that you need to use with Office 2003?
    Fact of Life:

“Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.”
    Terry Pratchett

Thanks
    Without setting associations within the registry, try right clicking on a 2003 doc file> Open with...> Browse to the Word 2003 folder and select the Word.exe executable> make sure that the checkbox "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file" is ticked> OK.

This is the procedure for Win 7. Do not know Win 8 well enough to say that it is the same.

HTH,
    Maud

Thanks
    First of all, it's NEVER a good idea to have multiple versions of Office installed on the same computer. Especially, when you're planning on installing an older version. Uninstall any versions of Office that came with your computer first, and then install Office 2003.
    Fact of Life:

Terry Pratchett

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi

I have four versions of Office installed on my laptop.
    I don't have any problems.
    Latest versions of Office install allows you the choice to 'keep' previous versions, if you wish. (You can only have one version of Outlook though).
    Having multiple versions allows you to test your applications with different versions before placing them in shared environments where there may be several versions running withing an organisation.
    I already have ten PCs to allow me test with different operating systems, different processor speeds etc etc.
    If I had to have only one version of Office I would need even more computers.
    My desk is not big enough!

zeddy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,145 Times in 1,054 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zeddy View Post
    Hi

I have four versions of Office installed on my laptop.
    I don't have any problems.
    Latest versions of Office install allows you the choice to 'keep' previous versions, if you wish. (You can only have one version of Outlook though).
    Having multiple versions allows you to test your applications with different versions before placing them in shared environments where there may be several versions running withing an organisation.
    I already have ten PCs to allow me test with different operating systems, different processor speeds etc etc.
    If I had to have only one version of Office I would need even more computers.
    My desk is not big enough!

zeddy
    You can simply use multiple VMs, instead of real computers. All you need is a good computer with lots of RAM and free space to accommodate all the VMs you may need.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    With the advent of VMs, I really find no need to burden the main operating system with multiple versions of Office. I too have Office 2013 and Office XP installed, the difference being, Office 2007 is on a VM running XP. A few of my files don't really like Office 2013, so I just switch over to the VM, if I want to work with them. That's the way I do it, though. YMMV.
    Fact of Life:

Terry Pratchett