New Lounger
    Thanks

"My Music" Folder Changed Display Format Automatically

Until the last day or so a subfolder of my Windows 7 "My Music" folder, using List mode, displayed the large number of individual song files with the columns in "left-to-right" format, using as many columns as necessary with horizontal scrolling — just as in other folders. (See Atch01) Then, out of nowhere, the display (still in List mode) switched to two columns in "top-to-bottom" format with vertical scrolling! (See Atch02) This does not occur in my multiple backup folders, only in the system My Music folder.

In the last couple of days I added 13 additional song files, bringing the total files to 959. It appears there may be a limit of some kind that has caused this change of display format. I tried removing 34 files, but that didn't cause it to change back, even after rebooting.

Since I do a lot with the music in that folder, this is extremely frustrating and will require a major readjustment of my habit patterns. In the vertical format, many of the song titles are truncated – not fully displayed. And it is not at all practical for me to split the files among two or more folders. (I might try a test to determine the exact number of files that cause the format change, assuming that's the cause . . .)

Has anyone run into this and found a solution? I'm thinking it might possibly be resolved by a simple edit to the Registry.

Atch01 _Atch01.jpg Atch02 _Atch02.jpg

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Try choosing Details view and then switch back to List view.
    Fact of Life:

“Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.”
    Terry Pratchett

4. The Following User Says Thank You to KritzX For This Useful Post:

AW/HWfreak (2014-08-06)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Wow, I can't believe I didn't think of that! And, actually, Small Icons mode had somehow gotten selected (probably from some fast clicking that I didn't realize caused it). I'm an idiot for not checking that -- I should know better -- been at this a LONG time -- maybe TOO long . . .

Thank you so much, KritzX, for saving me!

Thanks
    You're very welcome. And if anyone on this Lounge has provided you a solution, it's always nice to click the "Thanks" button in the lower left corner of that person's post.
    Fact of Life:

“Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.”
    Terry Pratchett

7. The Following User Says Thank You to KritzX For This Useful Post:

AW/HWfreak (2014-08-06)