iNET Interactive
    Thanks

Running 16-bit programs on 32/64-bit Windows

LANGALIST PLUS

Running 16-bit programs on 32/64-bit Windows

By Fred Langa

One way or another, you can almost always get older software — even ancient Windows 3.0–era apps — to run on the newest 32- and 64-bit systems. Plus: Saved Web favorites suddenly vanish, a USB flash drive becomes permanently formatted as a CD, and a free way to view and control your PC from a phone or tablet.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/langalist-plus/running-16-bit-programs-on-3264-bit-windows/ (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

New Lounger
    Thanks

XP VM in VirtualBox - activation problem

I've been using VirtualBox for years. I recently tried installing a new XP SP3 VM and ran into a problem. Upon booting I got hit with the Activation dialog. I tried "Intenet" and the server was taken down, presumably as of April 8th. It said try the phone activation for USA. That's gone too. So it aooears that you can't install a new machine using a retail XP CD even if the machine originally used that copy is long gone.

I have tried using DISK2VHD to clone a physical XP machine to VM prior to retiring the physical machine but have run into problems. I have tried suggested technique on VirtualBox forum such as prepping the physical machine by making the video generic VGA and running the 3rd-pary free utility that tweaks the IDE controller, but still have a problem. SO - is there a method for creating a "new" XP install within VirtualBox without running into April 8th wall?
    Last edited by NKTower; 2014-08-07 at 10:53.

Thanks
    There is no indication that Windows XP activation servers have been shut down. See This Article .

XP Mode does require axctivation, but is still available. See This Article .

The complete lack of high-ranking Google Search results stating any updated infnormation about this would indicate that the issue lies elsewhere. Activation from within a Virtual Machine may not succeed for many reasons not related to a server being shut down.
    -- Bob Primak --

New Lounger
    Thanks
    First, thanks for your response. I will have to try it again, perhaps over the weekend. I appreciate your response, but it contradicts my relatively recent experience. Some comments:
    1) The first link goes to a post dated Jan 14th, 2014 - pre-April 8th. Unfortunately Google doesn't permit specifying a post date for a web page on a normal search, only for search in news.google.com. I've looked for things posted since 4/8 and as you say, there isn't a flurry of complaints. So maybe it is something else. But what?
    2) I am not trying to activate XP mode, I want a "full" XP machine under VirtualBox. I am using authentic retail XP CD with COA, hologram etc. I've also tried CD from MAPS distribution.
    3) Prior to 4/18 I have created XP SP3 machine(s) within VirtualBox, and activated them without difficulty.
    4) On the post-April 8th attempt I got a server not available message, and it told me to try using telephone activation. Selecting USA refused to display a phone number. So I can't get at a rep. to give me a key.

As I said, I will try again as time permits. I have an XP VM available, but I really want a "clean" one. Once created I will save it and clone it should I need it. The purpose is that there are some old applications that I need to run, convert the data, and then blow away the clone preserving the 'base' copy.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Possible Related Issue: One way or another, you can almost always get older software — even ancient

After reading your article, I thought of my recent efforts to load familiar programs, and at least one that is ancient, onto Win 8.1x64.

Nearly immediately after installing 8.1 (as a an alternate boot system), I used Ultimate Windows Tweaker v.3 to tailor some aspects. There was no problem with its use at that point, but later after having gotten all of my familiar programs and settings (especially including Classic Start Menu), UWT wouldn't run. Windows gave one of its usual non-information messages, "A referral was returned by the server." Huh? What's that supposed to mean?

Interestingly, at the same point in time, I was trying to load my venerable old Palm desktop software. Yeah, I know, I am beyond old fashioned. But, every time I tried to install it, I got the very same error message.

I finally did a search on it, and while there were some brief articles mentioning the fix in general terms, I also found this site:

http://www.hartechsoftworks.com/a-re...om-the-server/

that offered step-by-step instructions on how to fix this issue.

As you can see in that article, they mention that it was originally intended for Windows 7, but I didn't have the problem with either program in Windows 7.

However, once I changed the key setting mentioned in the article, UWT3 worked flawlessly, and I was able to get the Palm software installed easily. Later, I updated the HotSync driver with the Aceeca:

http://aceeca.com/index.php?option=c...s_product&id=6

(Please note that Aceeca does NOT give any guarantees that it will work with anything other than their own stuff, but I and many others report success.)

So, what is this "referral" business? Why should it have been triggered by an attempt to use UWT3 (after it had worked earlier) or with installing the venerable Palm software?

BTW, mentioning this issue to a friend produced this pithy answer:

At least it is not a "bug" or code error somewhere...just a condition that should have resulted in a more intelligent error message, such as "Application is not signed or verified, run anyway Y/N ? Check this box to remember this setting [ ]. Microsoft is dedicated to making your computer experience better and more productive at all times. There are several great MS Applications that can barely open similar files. Please instead choose from one of the Applications on this drop down menu:

Word
    Wordpad
    XML Editor
    Gameboy Chooser
    Photocrush 7
    Audio Game Mixer Beta 4.11
    C++ Editor
    MS Publisher
    Iphone Conversion Tool 1.11
    Media Mangler .01.10
    UltraBrush Brush On Brush Off Editor

Note: This selection will make this application the default program for related files, even those you never heard of and have never ever used. Once selected it cannot be unselected, altered, or updated in any way, unless expressly deemed necessary by Microsoft. Tough toodles. See complete terms here.*

Now, that would helpful, of course we would not like the added value messages. ;-)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    This is regarding the last section "View and control your PC from a phone/tablet":

- With a phone - good luck. I've tried it and it's just too difficult to navigate a remote connection using the typical remote resolution of 1920x1080 on a 5" screen (even remotely connecting to laptop running at 1368x768 is painful).
    - With a tablet - OK, but I don't recommend TeamViewer. In the last year or two, they have declared war on 'free' users of their product. Despite their lies, it seems to count to about 10 total remote connections, then deem everything beyond that as 'commercial use'. Worse yet, they want $800 for a license! I was connecting to a couple of family member computers with TV and after a few remote reboots (and lost/restored connections), I was already getting the 'commercial use suspected' message. Has anyone found another free or reasonably priced remote-access solution?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by danno3 View Post
    I don't recommend TeamViewer. In the last year or two, they have declared war on 'free' users of their product. Despite their lies, it seems to count to about 10 total remote connections, then deem everything beyond that as 'commercial use'. Worse yet, they want $800 for a license! I was connecting to a couple of family member computers with TV and after a few remote reboots (and lost/restored connections), I was already getting the 'commercial use suspected' message. Has anyone found another free or reasonably priced remote-access solution?
    I, too, have begun running into TV's "commercial use suspected" nags. With friends and family members migrating all over the country it used to be a quick and easy way to see what was going on and answer their questions.

You might try Mikogo. It's also free for personal use, but is not quite as simple to connect to somebody on the other end--they have to click a few more buttons to accept the connection. Use mikogo-host on your end and start a support session. This will give you a session ID the other person needs to type in--the inverse of TV's method. For your friend/colleague on the other end I suggest mikogo-viewer instead of mikogo-host as it will be less confusing for them to use. To get mikogo-viewer go to the "Join Session" page on the Mikogo site. Find the link to "save the connection program on your computer" and download/save the mikogo-viewer executable.

Another option is AeroAdmin. It's got a simple, easy to use interface, and you use the same non-installing executable for both ends. It appears to be a Russian company, which may give some people pause... though that's probably a guarantee it doesn't contain a NSA backdoor.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't recommend TeamViewer
    There is also LogMeIn Rescue. A friend used it to help me some time ago.