Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    The DISM cmds as well as giving a report on the status of the system can also restore its health with the /RestoreHealth cmd which is worth a try before going the Refresh route.

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/window...-corrupt-files

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ah, sorry KritzX, about not answering re disk management. Yes, been there. No the external drive is not visible there. Weird when it can be seen under the 'safely remove hardware and eject media'.
    Last edited by timsinc; 2014-08-08 at 11:18.
    Tim

(Asus Transformer Aio. Win8.1. Galaxy S4. Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you Sudo15 for the link explaining what DISM is and how to use it. Which I did. But sadly (very) it did not correct the invisibility of external drives (whether usb memory stick or disk drive) in file explorer - and thus they're not accessible.

But on the bright side, it did correct my mouse problems.
    Tim

Thanks
    Curiouser and curiouser. Try performing a Clean Boot and see if your HD can be recognized.

Also, have you tried another USB port? Do you have the latest drivers for your USB expansion card? Sorry if you already answered those; I skimmed through the entire thread but I might have missed it.
    Fact of Life:

“Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.”
    Terry Pratchett

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KritzX View Post
    Curiouser and curiouser. Try performing a Clean Boot and see if your HD can be recognized.

Also, have you tried another USB port? Do you have the latest drivers for your USB expansion card?
    Is a clean boot much different from booting in safe mode, which I have done? I have tried all USB ports. According to Device Manager (where the external drive IS visible!) > drive properties, the driver is up to date. Anyway, a USB memory stick is also not visible in file explorer.
    Tim

Thanks
    I guess both modes are both pretty much the same. Have you tried uninstalling all the USB devices and ports in Device Manager and rebooting?
    Fact of Life:

Terry Pratchett

Thanks
    According to a MS Support Engineer, here's what the two modes mean:

Safe mode shuts down just about everything that isn't absolutely necessary to get Windows to launch. What is left running, is running with the most stable drivers available and any accelerators or “tweaks” are turned off too. Like video and other hardware acceleration.
    This is designed to be as close as can be to a stable environment.
    It is slow and clunky, but it shouldn't crash.
    It also disables 3 party addons.

While there are a variety of issues you can use this for Safe Mode is mostly for hardware issues or issues where a software package left regular Windows inaccessible.

Clean Boot does not care about the windows environment. It assumes that Windows is not the problem and that it works fine.
    It removes 3 party vendor addons that are loaded on start up.
    Hope you're clear now. Wouldn't hurt to try a clean boot, anyways.
    Fact of Life:

Terry Pratchett

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Have you tried uninstalling all the USB devices and ports in Device Manager and rebooting?
    I have tried uninstalling devices - but ports? How does one do that?
    Tim

Thanks
    Press WinKey+X and click Device Manager. Expand the Universal Serial Bus Controllers tree and right click and uninstall ALL the entries. Then reboot.

Here's how it looks like on my Win 7 PC (It's basically the same on your Win 8.1 PC):

Image 1.png
    Fact of Life:

Terry Pratchett

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Press WinKey+X and click Device Manager. Expand the Universal Serial Bus Controllers tree and right click and uninstall ALL the entries. Then reboot.

]
    .....ALL of them? Scares me somewhat. I have more entries than you, including one named 'Bluetooth Hard Copy Cable Replacement Server'.

That may refer to a USB2 port dedicated on my Asus machine to the wireless Asus keyboard and mouse only. I have four other USB3 ports.

So will they all be re-installed on reboot?
    Last edited by timsinc; 2014-08-08 at 17:39.
    Tim

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    They normally would be but you can also click on Action/Scan for hardware changes and watch Device Manager refresh itself as it restores them - but I always create a restore point first before making any changes - I like a belt and braces

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well it turned out to be scary. Got about three-quarters way through uninstalling the list (after creating restore point!) and the computer locked up. (The Serial Bus Controllers entry had vanished). Couldn't do anything. Even the touch screen wouldn't respond. Trying to force shut down with power button long press kept bringing up an error message. Kept up the long pressing and eventually got closed.

Anyway, after successfully re-starting, my external disk drive is still NOT appearing in File Explorer.
    Tim

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    What about going to your computer vendor support site and downloading the Chipset/Video drivers - with AMD the Southbridge looks after the Bus Controllers - don't know how Intel etc. Chipsets breakdown but it could just simply be a driver problem instead of an OS one.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Sudo15. Did that and after putting in my model, there was one update, but not I think driver, and didn't resolve problem. Will look further into that.

One (main) reason for wanting external drive working was for back-up. Well Paragon DOES see my Seagate drive! Yet Win 8.1 History and Recovery utility (and of course File Explorer) doesn't. Anyway, created a Paragon differential back-up.
    Tim

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Can you boot back up into Safe Mode to see if your restore points will complete ?

Which anti virus program are you using - AV programs can sometimes block/fail restore points but is isolated in Safe Mode.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast