Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cwnurse View Post
    Hi Tim, I recently had the same problem on my computer, also running Win 8.1.

I went into device manager and uninstalled the USB Controller then rebooted and it was working again.
    Which one? Under USB devices I've got 17 entries!

Anyway, I tried, as I reported August 8:

Quote Originally Posted by timsinc View Post
    Well it turned out to be scary. Got about three-quarters way through uninstalling the list (after creating restore point!) and the computer locked up. (The Serial Bus Controllers entry had vanished). Couldn't do anything. Even the touch screen wouldn't respond. Trying to force shut down with power button long press kept bringing up an error message. Kept up the long pressing and eventually got closed.

Anyway, after successfully re-starting, my external disk drive is still NOT appearing in File Explorer.

In communication with Asus, got to the stage where they're checking my Bios version, having also updated the Intel chipset thingy.
    Last edited by timsinc; 2014-08-20 at 02:09.
    Tim

(Asus Transformer Aio. Win8.1. Galaxy S4. Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, after updating Bios, Asus have come up with what others have advised - Reset PC.

I replied:
    "I just do not want to go down that road. I have 21 programs that I have installed since getting my Asus. Some are huge, such as Photoshop & Premier Elements, other photo-editors, and Quark Xpress (which have had updates applied). All of which would be wiped out. They would have to be downloaded again (time and data charges), re-activated, licence keys to find, passwords to recall. My Family Tree Maker would have to re-export its data creating yet another duplicate at Ancestry.com. Some apps are security programs, some utilities, some add-ons and plug-ins to browsers, Not to mention I would have to go through time-consuming updating of Windows itself again.

"Plus you say back up my data. What, onto a multitude of usb memory sticks? Remember I cannot access my external hard drives!

"I'd rather stay with my semi-functioning Asus than go through the tortuous ordeal you suggest - there has to be another solution."

---
    I wonder if any of you wise guys out there could see if something I installed causes my problem, which I think started in about March of this year.

The list (in html), rather long but you could ignore entries of recent months, at this link:
    http://www.evernote.com/shard/s177/s...1c1a7cf537f4fe
    Tim

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    SORTED! ....if anyone still looks at this somewhat eclectic/confusing thread. Today I found (or maybe in old age missed in the first place) the external drive under Disk Management. There, once I learnt you had to right click the disk's capacity (rather than the name Disk 2) I got the option to give the drive a letter. Once done, it appears in File Explorer and is accessible.

On my previous computers, it seemed to happen just automatically.

Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment!
    Tim

Thanks
    Wow that was a toughie, eh? Glad you got it resolved Tim!
    Fact of Life:

“Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.”
    Terry Pratchett

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234