Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

USB devices not recognized

Like many others (according to Google search) my Win 8.1 does not see, when looking at 'My PC', devices connected to USB ports. However, they can be seen in Device Manager, but from there unable to access them - in particular my external hard drive I was using for File History (which is no longer working).

MS advice is to make sure updates KB 2919355 and KB 2959977 are installed. They are. MS also offers at 'Hotfix', which did not fix anything.

Apparently, MS in 8.1 are complying with energy directives, so that continually connected devices are not continuously drawing power. I followed one tip editing the registry to cancel that for my external drive, but again it's not to be seen under 'My PC'.

Anyone here suffering similar, or know of a 'fix'?
    Tim

(Asus Transformer Aio. Win8.1. Galaxy S4. Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5)

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Hey Tim, found some things for you to try:

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/usb-de...orking-windows

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/usb-pr...sues-windows-7

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/usbcoreblog/...requently.aspx

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2900614

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/usbcoreblog/...ost-title.aspx

Sorry, I know it's way too many links, but personally, I never faced this problem on my Windows 8.1 computer. Hoping that atleast one of these work...
    Fact of Life:

“Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.”
    Terry Pratchett

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks KritzX. I had already tried all those! Most are to do with power management, stopping an external device 'sleeping'. None brings back the Samsung external drive visibly under 'My PC'. So I cannot access it, which I can see is on from its green light, and get the desktop sound when plugging it in.

It seems to have hit my File History as I cannot open it.

I'm beginning to think it is the device itself because if I plug my tablet into the same usb port, it is visible under 'My PC'.

Under the Samsung M3 Portable properties, in Events, I see a "driver service" was added this March. Being lazy, don't think I'd checked the device since then. So maybe that's where the problem lies. But I've no idea how to undo that change.

Under Driver File Details is a list I don't understand, but says provider: Microsoft. Under the General tab, it reports "This device is working properly" !!

I suppose I should change (if I can) this thread's subject heading as it seems down to just this one usb device.

Hoping, anyway, that someone may still get this far to help!
    Tim

Thanks
    Have you tried plugging said device into another computer? If that can't see the device then it's likely that the device is (as you suspect) at fault. I assume it's a disk drive - have you tried a memory stick in the same port? But then you have tried your tablet and that worked....

Administrator
    Thanks
    Unplug the disk drive. Then using Device Manager click on View and "Show Hidden Devices". Delete the disk drive. Re-boot the system. Plug the drive in. If Windows discovers it the drive should be OK.

Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Bitterly disappointed, Joe, that your tip didn't work.

I bought a new external hard drive, 2tb, as the other was only 500mb anyway. But 'My PC' cannot see that either.

So is it Windows Explorer trouble? Yet it can recognise my tablet if I plug it into the same USB slot.

I tried a System Restore. But got the message that it failed. Try a different date point, advised. Did that. Same result, with suggestion to run chkdsk /r. Did that and it took forever at stage 17 per cent, but did complete. But, system restore again failed.

Have I got a sick computer? All my other programs running fine, so it is perfectly usable. But I cannot back it up to a hard drive! Or use File History!

Very worrying. Any more ideas anyone?
    Tim

Thanks
    Don't know if you tried this yet, but press WinKey+X choose Command Prompt (Admin). Click Yes at the UAC warning. Type sfc /scannow and press Enter.
    Fact of Life:

Terry Pratchett

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    What about changing tack to see if you can fix File History.

You could start by turning off File History and then setting it up afresh http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials...ndows-8-a.html and if you still have problems you can try these trouble shooting steps http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/w...g-file-history

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you KritzX. Ran the sfc and got the message: Found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. And external drive still not recognized. Is it any good me copying the CBS log here? There are pages and pages of stuff that mean little to me.

Thank you Sudo15. With my former external drive plugged in, File History reports error 'Failed to initiate user backup (error 80070032)'. With my new drive I get the message 'No usable drives were found'. If I click on Run Now, it starts copying 'History' files to my internal hard drive.

(Your links, though useful, do not cover deleting the present set-up to enable me to start afresh)
    Tim

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I was hoping that turning File History off would have reset that.

Give the Dism.exe cmds a try and if they don't work then you may have to use the Refresh option from Recovery.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/l.../hh824869.aspx

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I seem to be digging a deeper hole for myself. Since doing the drive scans, my USB/bluetooth mouse now behaving erratically - sometimes not moving, sometimes jerking about. Tried an old one and the wheel on that scrolls jerkily or not at all, although cursor moves fine.

I'm really loathe the thought of doing a Refresh. I have quite a number of important to me programs downloaded from on line that would require re-installing, getting the password keys for them ,etc, etc. And time, time.....The time spent getting a machine to work, fit for purpose, is just so unnecessary, stressful - and boring!

But I have to get it sorted, so I'm still grateful for any/all advice!
    Tim

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    What did the dism.../scanhealth report ?

If your Bluetooth mouse worked okay before then it shouldn't be a RF interference problem from other equipment unless you have changed the environment but while these MS steps don't mention Win 8+, you may be able to relate to them http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811798
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-08-08 at 05:51.

Thanks
    Press WinKey+X and click Disk Management. Can you see you external HDD here? If you're not sure, post a screenshot of the window here.

And regarding SFC: If it's a problem SFC can't repair, then I think you should seriously start considering a Refresh soon. Sorry to say this.
    Fact of Life:

Terry Pratchett

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    What did the dism.../scanhealth report ?
    As I said earlier, ran the sfc and got the message: Found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. Is it any good me copying the CBS log here? There are pages and pages of stuff that mean little to me.

I fear, as KritzX says, I'm going to have to go down the Refresh route.
    Tim

Thanks
    Did you go to Disk management as I indicated in my previous post?
    Fact of Life:

Terry Pratchett

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast