Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    Can you boot back up into Safe Mode to see if your restore points will complete ?

Which anti virus program are you using - AV programs can sometimes block/fail restore points but is isolated in Safe Mode.
    What restore points?
    Fact of Life:

“Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.”
    Terry Pratchett

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I was trying (and failed) earlier to do a Restore mainly because my mouse wouldn't behave after doing the sfc /scannow. That thankfully was sorted with the DISM routine.

Since I think my problem over usb devices goes back several months, I'd not be happy restoring so far back (even if those points still exist). Too much water (new programs, updates etc) passed under the bridge since.
    Tim

(Asus Transformer Aio. Win8.1. Galaxy S4. Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Came across one Googled post where someone was having similar problems and they solved it with the last post in http://www.eightforums.com/performan...ternal-hd.html
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-08-09 at 13:15.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The suggestion is to make a folder on the 'forgotten' drive and share it with 'everybody' having permissions & restart the computer.

Catch 22. I (Windows) can't access the drive to make a folder! I'd have to find another computer to do it.

It is definitely only external hard drives that are the problem. I've plugged in a card reader (and card) and a usb memory stick both of which File Explorer recognizes and can access.
    Tim

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by timsinc View Post
    The suggestion is to make a folder on the 'forgotten' drive and share it with 'everybody' having permissions & restart the computer.

Catch 22. I (Windows) can't access the drive to make a folder! I'd have to find another computer to do it.
    You beat me to it, Tim. I really don't think the issue has anything to do with permissions. AFAIK, permissions never prevent a drive from showing up in Windows Explorer or File Explorer.

It is definitely only external hard drives that are the problem. I've plugged in a card reader (and card) and a usb memory stick both of which File Explorer recognizes and can access.
    Sigh...that "Refresh" is looking very attractive now, huh?

In certain situations, I've found that people (yes, at many times even me) spend too much time troubleshooting and trying to fix an issue; an issue where a reinstall was the only option. Many people are afraid that a reinstall will eat up their time, but so will troubleshooting.

If you don't want a Refresh and if you can connect this PC to a network, then maybe you can attach the HDD to another PC, and make it available for sharing. In the mean time, think about a Refresh. Please understand that I ONLY recommend a reinstall when even SFC can't find the problem.
    Fact of Life:

“Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.”
    Terry Pratchett

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This may be interesting / a clue? The usb ports recognized a 2gb flash drive - but NOT a 32gb flash drive. Maybe it's the size/capacity of the attached drives to blame? If so, a 2tb disk stands no chance!

Is there somewhere, some way, to check or alter the parameters?
    Tim

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    This may be interesting / a clue? The usb ports recognized a 2gb flash drive - but NOT a 32gb flash drive. Maybe it's the size/capacity of the attached drives to blame? If so, a 2tb disk stands no chance!

Is there somewhere, some way, to check or alter the parameters?
    It could be a clue.

I'm not sure if USB Controller v 1.1 has a max of 2GB but as you have reinstalled them, they should be v2.0.

Have a read of https://kb.iu.edu/d/aout and then go into Device Manager and check if yours has the Enhanced bit in their description.

Downloading the Chipset/Video drivers should have fixed that had they been the lower version.

Don't suppose there was a BIOS upgrade when you checked the vendor support site ?
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-08-10 at 12:04.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    where how do you edit the registry to stop that ?

there is NO reason to cause us problems to save milliwatts.
    if i want to pay for the power nobody shoudl be imposing their annoyances on us like that.

so how do i fix the registry to stop it ?

Like many others (according to Google search) my Win 8.1 does not see, when looking at 'My PC', devices connected to USB ports. However, they can be seen in Device Manager, but from there unable to access them - in particular my external hard drive I was using for File History (which is no longer working).

MS advice is to make sure updates KB 2919355 and KB 2959977 are installed. They are. MS also offers at 'Hotfix', which did not fix anything.

Apparently, MS in 8.1 are complying with energy directives, so that continually connected devices are not continuously drawing power. I followed one tip editing the registry to cancel that for my external drive, but again it's not to be seen under 'My PC'.

Anyone here suffering similar, or know of a 'fix'?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball View Post
    where how do you edit the registry to stop that ?

If you really think it's worth it and a problem for you, go here:
    http://www.registryrecycler.com/blog...g-windows-8-1/
    Tim

New Lounger
    Thanks
    This isn't targeted corrective advice, more like explanatory background.

Apparently Microsoft re-wrote the USB driver stack for Windows 8; my understanding was (and personal experience with) high speed USB 3 devices under Win7 could cause problems. There was an efficiency problem in the driver stack. I experience this when I play CD's on my Win7 computer, simultaneous with a large data transfer going on. I get drop-outs on the sound.

According to this article, MS also wrote certain USB drivers that used to be a vendor responsibility:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...=W8ITProPreRel

This is an architectural discussion of the driver changes:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2...0-support.aspx

I also recall reading a MS article discussing one particular aspect of USB 3 support. The MS employee said something about how, with Win8 and USB 3, MS decided to go with a strict implementation of the USB handshaking process. And they had found that some/many USB devices didn't actually handshake properly, causing Windows to reject the device.

I guess that with prior drivers and USB 2 and older, MS had allowed sloppy device registrations in order to gain more compatibility. Of course now I can't find that article, sorry!

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    One trick which i use is: shutdown the PC, unplug the device, Startup/shutdown PC. It should detect the device is gone and disable the driver. Shutdown, plug in device, Startup. You want to force a reload of the driver.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    BHarder - a wee bit above my head, but as my usb-connected external hard drive was working a few months back on Win 8.1, I can't see MS new 'architecture' being the problem. Unless an update changed something, which I kind of suspect.

philomel - been there, tried that, even uninstalling driver as well as usb ports.
    Tim

Thanks
    Are you trying to make this drive detected on the Asus Transformer that is in your signature?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozwire View Post
    Are you trying to make this drive detected on the Asus Transformer that is in your signature?
    Yes.

I have been in touch with Asus, my latest email to them:

Thank you for your email. Answers to your questions:

Do you get any error message when you connect the external HDD in your computer?

No

What is the make of external HDD?

Tried two – one, a Samsung, usb3, 500gb, which until a few months back was recognised in Windows File Explorer and was being used for back-ups. Second one, a new Seagate, usb3, 2TB.

When you connect the external HDD do you hear any sound from your computer as it happens when some hardware is connected with the machine?

Yes, the usual device connected sounds. It is also visible under Safely Remove Hardware and in Device Manager > Disk Drives. But not under Disk Management or Windows File Explorer - thus making it inaccessible. But Paragon Back-up and disk management utility DOES see it!

In Device Manager where the Seagate drive is visible, under Properties it says ‘This device is working correctly’. Under Events, I get this information:

Device SCSI\Disk&Ven_Seagate&Prod_Expansion\000000 was configured.
    Driver Name: disk.inf
    Class Guid: {4D36E967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
    Driver Date: 06/21/2006
    Driver Version: 6.3.9600.16384
    Driver Provider: Microsoft
    Driver Section: disk_install.NT
    Driver Rank: 0xFF0005
    Matching Device Id: GenDisk
    Outranked Drivers:
    Device Updated: false
    I checked on line for drive update and Microsoft message said: You’ve got the latest driver.

In more detail:
    - System
    - Provider
    [ Name] Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP
    [ Guid] {9C205A39-1250-487D-ABD7-E831C6290539}

EventID 410

Version 0

Level 4

Task 0

Opcode 0

Keywords 0x2000000000000000

- TimeCreated
    [ SystemTime] 2014-08-09T07:47:37.333797900Z

EventRecordID 1445

Correlation

- Execution
    [ ProcessID] 4
    [ ThreadID] 444

Channel Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP/Configuration

Computer asuspc

- Security
    [ UserID] S-1-5-18

- EventData

DeviceInstanceId SCSI\Disk&Ven_Seagate&Prod_Expansion\000000
    DriverName disk.inf
    ClassGuid {4D36E967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
    ServiceName disk
    LowerFilters
    UpperFilters
    Problem 0x0
    Status 0x0

Does your computer install any drivers / software when you connect the external HDD?

Not I think software, but drivers (see above)

* I have done the DISM routine and scannow, to no avail.
    Tim

New Lounger
    Thanks

Red face USB devices not recognized

Like many others (according to Google search) my Win 8.1 does not see, when looking at 'My PC', devices connected to USB ports. However, they can be seen in Device Manager, but from there unable to access them - in particular my external hard drive I was using for File History (which is no longer working).

MS advice is to make sure updates KB 2919355 and KB 2959977 are installed. They are. MS also offers at 'Hotfix', which did not fix anything.

Apparently, MS in 8.1 are complying with energy directives, so that continually connected devices are not continuously drawing power. I followed one tip editing the registry to cancel that for my external drive, but again it's not to be seen under 'My PC'.

Anyone here suffering similar, or know of a 'fix'?
    Hi Tim, I recently had the same problem on my computer, also running Win 8.1.

I went into device manager and uninstalled the USB Controller then rebooted and it was working again.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast