2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

My Amazon account has been hacked!

I've had a few peculiar things happen with my W7 desktop over the past week or two. First, my Logitech Trackball began sticking, ie, it wouldn't let me drag stuff, the left button had to be clicked really firmly before it registered, it slowed down. I cleaned it and it worked for a while then went back to sticking. (Drivers are up to date). I decided to use Malwarebytes free app and it found something in the registry that it said was a trojan though it didn't give me much info about it. I deleted it anyway. My trackball was still sticking so I swapped it for a different one, a Kensington, that works fine. Next thing I know is that I get an email from Amazon advising me that I have just ordered a game download costing nothing. I immediately told them that I hadn't ordered this and they quickly got back to me, telling me that a third party had ordered it. Of course I changed passwords on my Amazon account and my email account. Amazon have advised me that my payment details with them are safe. My financial accounts all have complex methods of access and none of them have been accessed. My AV is MSE and hasn't reported anything amiss.

How much of all of this is related and how much coincidental I don't know, but is there anything else that I should be doing to ensure that I haven't still got nasties in my PC?

Thanks
    To be absolutely sure nothing is going on, I suggest you download Windows Defender Offline. View the article for details.

Or else, if you have an image from before the problems started, you can revert back to that as well.
    Fact of Life:

“Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.”
    Terry Pratchett

3. The Following User Says Thank You to KritzX For This Useful Post:

sylviesinc (2014-08-07)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for the suggestion. I'm currently running a scan with the standalone Sofus Virus Removal tool as I'm feeling somewhat paranoid at the moment, this being the first time I have ever been hacked! I will use your suggestion as well.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 1,220 Posts
    Did amazon provide any info on how the 3rd party could have ordered the game through your account?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    They just said "After careful review of your account, we believe it may have been accessed and used by a third-party to attempt to make purchases without your permission. It seems that someone obtained your personal account and/or financial information elsewhere, and used it on Amazon.co.uk to access your account." I never click links in emails to access my account so they didn't access it that way.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Ok, I guess you have already done what is recommended, looking for malware and changing your passwords. Do make sure you use different passwords for different relevant websites, preferably a longish password that takes more effort to break through brute force attempts.

I would probably use a few malware scanners, just to make sure nothing is missed. While there can be no certainty about the cause for the hack, it's always wise to play safe.

If you want to play really safe, you can just remove all your credit card info from the account, at least temporarily. There have been accounts of usage of the last 4 digits of the credit card to gain access to other accounts of a given person. This may or may not be relevant for you, and I would probably do it if i had the same credit card used elsewhere.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

sylviesinc (2014-08-07)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for the advice. Amazon have told me that I will have to reinput payment details the next time I buy anything, so they have already removed my info. The Sophos scan that I just ran reported that my computer is clean so, other than checking my accounts each day, I don't think there is much else to do, except maybe the Windows Defender Offline scan already recommended.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Yes, it seems ok for now. Just keep vigilant and running Malwarebytes regularly (and yes, try defender offline).
    Rui
    -------
    R4

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

sylviesinc (2014-08-07)

Thanks
    After trying Defender Offline, I recommend you use a good password generator (preferably, like the one in LastPass, a free password manger that ties into your browser, be it IE, Chrome or Firefox). Go to each and every single website you have an account, use the random password generator and change all your passwords. After doing these 2 steps, you can be confident that your system is safe.
    Fact of Life:

“Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.”
    Terry Pratchett

13. The Following User Says Thank You to KritzX For This Useful Post:

sylviesinc (2014-08-07)