Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 7 Fresh Installation Problem

My friend is trying to perform a clean reinstallation of Windows 7, using a genuine Win 7 DVD with SP1. Installation seemed to be going normally until the PC was automatically restarted and the installing services message appeared. That was followed by a message saying that the computer restarted unexpectedly and that it needed to be restarted for setup to continue. The same messages appear after the restart, and the PC is stuck in an endless loop of this behaviour. My friend has a full Macrium backup of his C drive on an external drive, and thought that the only thing left to try was to restore the backup, using the Macrium rescue cd,and then to format the drive and try again to reinstall Windows. However, he doesn't know how to access the Macrium cd on boot.

URGENT advice would be appreciated.

Thanks and regards, Roy
    OS Triple Boot Win 7 Pro 64 Bit-SP1 with IE11, Win 8.1 Pro 64 Bit with IE11 & Windows 10 TP (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    He will need to go into the BIOS and set the boot order to CD first. The Macrium disc should then be autostarted if left in the CD drive before boot up.

I would think though that he could just insert the Win 7 disk into the CD drive before boot and then it would autostart and Windows could be installed from it as the drive is reformatted during the install.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello 1db and thanks, but I tried both of the options you mention after sending my original post, and I still got the installing services message and the subsequent message mentioned in post #1.

Do you, or does any other fellow lounger, have any other ideas?
    OS Triple Boot Win 7 Pro 64 Bit-SP1 with IE11, Win 8.1 Pro 64 Bit with IE11 & Windows 10 TP (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

Thanks
    You could try entering safe mode by toggling F8 after the initial BIOS display and before Windows starts booting. (The timing can be tricky) Then do a System Restore.

Jerry

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Jerry, I did try safe mode but after the usual loading drivers process I got a message saying "Windows cannot be installed in safe mode", followed by the same messages and behavior as I mentioned before.

What else can I try?

Roy Whitethread

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    If the HDD hasn't been reformatted yet, when booting up with the Win 7 install disk - select the Repair option to get into the RE and select Command Prompt and run chkdsk c: (or whichever partition the OS is in) without any switches and that will show if the HDD has any bad sectors.

You should also be able to use the Restore option to select using an image I'd made earlier.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Roy,

Since it is a clean install, anytime a install has ever failed part way through I always, simply put the disk back in and booted up to clean install again. Just nuke it and start over. Don't try to continue the broken installation process.

If you are saying you cannot get the OS disk to boot that would imply either drive not working/recognizing a disk is present/damaged OS disk, ODD not selected as primary boot drive or you didn't hit any key when prompted on boot to load the CD/DVD so it tries to boot to the failed Windows install instead. Can also setup to install Win7 from flash drive if need to.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Macrium Rescue Disk

With regards to the Macrium backup...ask him if he remembers the offer to make a Rescue disk when he first installed and ran Macrium? Vaguely... lol. That is how you restore. You boot up the rescue disk and then load the stored image.

Fortunately, any Macrium Rescue disk will do (WinPE, Bart or Linux). It does need to be either 32-bit or 64-bit version though as the backup came from or at least 32-bit for XP based I can't quite remember. Once you have that plug his external drive in with the backup, and boot upon the Rescue disk and it should be pretty simple to reimage the HDD drive.

http://kb.macrium.com/KnowledgebaseArticle50082.aspx

But there should be no need if you just re-clean install as in my prior message.
    Last edited by Fascist Nation; 2014-08-07 at 13:14.

Thanks
    After following Sudo's suggestion, why don't you restart the entire process again?
    Fact of Life:

“Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.”
    Terry Pratchett

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread. The answer to the installation glitch turned out to be the keyboard. I had been pressing a key immediately every time the "press any key..." message appeared, but I had not noticed that the keyboard was not activated. I then connected a second keyboard and tried again with the same result, i.e when the message appeared the second keyboard was not in fact activated. The third try with a third keyboard worked and installation succeeded. After that I installed Microsoft Security Essentials, around 150 Microsoft updates,and Macrium Reflect, then set everything up (display, time and date, etc. etc.) the way my friend wanted, then installed various programs and finally backed up the drive with Macrium.Hopefully I will not have do go through this again anytime soon!

I have of course unplugged 2 of the 3 keyboards. (All 3 were active once Windows finished reinstalling).

Regards, Roy

Roy Whitethread

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    When you press any key to boot from CD/DVD you can usually hear the DVD player fire up - were you able to hear yours ?

Glad that you were able to sort it but couldn't you install a better AV program than MSE for your friend - even MS admit that it's only base level - perhaps something like AVAST Free and a compatible Firewall, but Windows Firewall should be sufficient until you find one that doesn't cause problems.

Thanks
    Glad you found a solution Roy!
    Fact of Life:

“Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.”
    Terry Pratchett

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    As I have stated in another thread the keyboard problem was solved by enabling usb legacy support in the BIOS.

I ran out of time and installed MSE as a temporary measure, but have since uninstalled MSE and installed avast free antivirus instead.

Regards, Roy

Roy Whitethread

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for posting the solution. Now that the system is as good as new, have your friend make a new Macrium Reflect image, create Macrium Reflect's boot discs (at least the Windows one) and I would also create the Win7 System Repair disc

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    cmptrgy, thanks-I have already taken the steps you mentioned.

Regards, Roy

Roy Whitethread

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast