Star Lounger
    Thanks

Question Erase or format old C drive

I built new system with SSD as boot and program drive.
    Installed previous data and Windows 7 boot drive, so that I could copy data fairly easily.
    Now that everything that I wanted has been copied, I would like to empty the drive and re-use it. But, I keep running into the no permission error. The folders and files are marked read only. Unchecking the box seems to work, but is checked again the next time I look. I have taken ownership and tried to uncheck the read only box only to have it fail to hold. I haven't tried going into safe boot or command prompt to maybe format the drive. So that is next, I guess. ARGH!! I'm too old for this! LOL. Suggestions?
    Windows 8.1 64 bit
    Don
    Windows 7 64bit, Intel Core2 Quad 2.4 GHz, 8.0 GB RAM, nVidia 9500 GT, 1230 GB HD

Thanks
    1 Take Ownership - Add to Context Menu in Windows 8.

2 download the MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition and make a bootable disk. Use the bootable disk to format the drive.

3 Ensure no OS access to the drive through things like system restore, indexing, file history, or any other OS processes that may potentially place hooks into the drive.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2014-07-29 at 04:46.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If I had a hard drive that I wanted to re-format, and I had permission and ownership problems, after trying a few things, I would go to DBAN, Derick's Boot and Nuke. That will solve permission problems, and you can use the Disk Management tool to reformat the drive.

Thanks
    I'd just boot up the computer with my DOS Utils disk, making sure that the main OS drive is disabled so it cannot be written to. Then using FDISK, i'd remove all the partitions on the target disk, then create just ONE partition. Then format the disk to check every sector and block out any bad sectors.

Then the disk could be formatted under DOS (FAT-32 format) or under windows, NTFS format.

I know.....it's very Old School, but it still works and that's the only way I ever treat a new HD or a used one that's given to me. After this process, the disk is ready to receive any OS and every bad sector is permanently blocked out so it will never be used by any OS.

Cheers mates! (What's old, is new again!)

The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Thanks
    Hey Dr Who
    You never got back to me on another thread when I asked about SATA drivers for the DOS boot disk for Ghost.

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Prescott View Post
    If I had a hard drive that I wanted to re-format, and I had permission and ownership problems, after trying a few things, I would go to DBAN, Derick's Boot and Nuke. That will solve permission problems, and you can use the Disk Management tool to reformat the drive.
    Just be aware that DBAN will clean every disk it finds, so as others have said, ensure your new disk isn't connected. It's also called Darik's Boot and Nuke - and it helped me recover a HDD which was otherwise unusable.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm not sure what happened. Perhaps I needed a cold boot before the ownership (and permissions) would change. But, yesterday I right clicked the drive in Windows Explorer and was able for format it. It wasn't really harming anything, but I couldn't let it beat me!
    Don
    Windows 7 64bit, Intel Core2 Quad 2.4 GHz, 8.0 GB RAM, nVidia 9500 GT, 1230 GB HD