New Lounger
    Thanks

Question WIN 8.1 Desktop Icons will not move

I am using Win 8.1 on a 64-bit Sony Vaio. I upgraded last week from Win 8 to 8.1, and since then, I have not been able to move the icons around on my desktop. When I try to click and drag them to another area, I get the circle with the slash through it as my cursor, and that is it. I have tried this with and without Stardock Fences (which I have used for years and love). So, I don't think Fences is the issue. Have any of you seen this before, or have a solution? Thanks in advance!

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    See if this link helps:
    http://www.makeuseof.com/answers/how...ws-8-1-update/

Rich

P.S. Are you using Fences version 2.12? Prior to version 2.11 some users had same problem as yours
    Last edited by rmonroe36; 2014-08-08 at 06:56.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to rmonroe36 For This Useful Post:

ekcan (2014-08-09)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you. I will check my Fences version and get back to you.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I was using Fences 2.0. I changed to Fences 2.12, and I can now move my icons! At first I installed the newer version "over" the older version, and this did not solve my issue. Then, I uninstalled the older version before I installed the newer version, and I can now arrange my icons. Thank you for your help!

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ekcan View Post
    At first I installed the newer version "over" the older version, and this did not solve my issue. Then, I uninstalled the older version before I installed the newer version, and I can now arrange my icons. Thank you for your help!
    You are welcome. BTW, the latest version is 2.13

Rich