Star Lounger
    Thanks

Angry Wandering cell comments in Excel 2007

I'm pretty savvy about wrangling cell comments back to the desired positions by using VBA procs, but I want a software fix, not a workaround from VBA...
    I rely heavily upon cell comments.
    Despite using faithfully the Comments Format selection, "Move and Size With Cells", my comments float... drift... wander... leaving sometimes extremely long dotted tails back to the parent cells.
    Does anybody know of a non-VBA solution, so I can set aside my obsession over wandering cell comments and get on with my life?
    Thanks.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Not an ideal solution, but Copy/Paste Special/Paste Special/Comments will move the comment to another cell, but you're left to delete the original comment because Paste Special doesn't work with Cut...

Thanks
    You could use a screen tip instead.

Right click a cell with text or a picture> hyperlink> select "Place in this document" on left> Screen Tip... upper right> Enter tip> OK> OK. Hover over the text or picture and you will see the sceen tip appear

HTH,
    Maud
    Last edited by Maudibe; 2014-08-08 at 07:29.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Maudibe For This Useful Post:

JohnS0603 (2014-08-09)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the idea, Maud. However, I am dealing with (example) 332 comments in a 29 x 452-cell table... I think I might perish before I got through just this one worksheet using the screen tips method. Besides, some of the comments are 30-100 characters long!
    All the best, John

Thanks
    John,

I have 3 more suggestions
    1. Would selecting "comments and indicators" in Options> Advanced> Display work for you? They are always displayed and they can manually be moved to the positions you want

2. I know you are looking for a non vba solution but just consider having all your comments appear in the status bar instead. In the Options> Advanced> Display select "No comments and indicators" then add the following code to your sheet module

Code:
    Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range)
    On Error Resume Next
    Application.StatusBar = ActiveCell.Comment.Text
    End Sub
    3. You could also use the same method above to display the selected cell's comment in a reserved area of merged cells (ex. L1:M5) with
    [L1] = ActiveCell.Comment.Text

HTH,
    Maud
    Last edited by Maudibe; 2014-08-09 at 11:36.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Maudibe For This Useful Post:

RetiredGeek (2014-08-09)

Thanks
    John,

A non VBA alternative is to use Vlookup using the selected cell's address to find a value (the comment) in a table on a second sheet then display the value in another cell:

=IF(ISERROR(VLOOKUP(CELL("address"),Sheet2!A1:B6,2 ,FALSE)),"",VLOOKUP(CELL("address"),Sheet2!A1:B6,2 ,FALSE))

On the table sheet, one column would contain the cell addresses and the adjacent column would contain the comments. You would not need any commented cells.

There is one caveat that is you must hit F9 to update the display of the comment

HTH,
    Maud

Vlookup1.png
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Maudibe; 2014-08-09 at 13:53.