New Lounger
    Thanks

Urgent help needed: corrupt Word 2010 file

Since yesterday i keep opening .docx files to find they are corrupted. I get the message 'the file cannot be opened because of problems with it's contents'. I click ok and get the message 'word found unreadable content in *file name*. Do you want to recover the contents of this document? If you trust the source of the document click yes'. I then click yes and get the first message again. When i click 'details' it says 'the file is corrupt and cannot be opened'.
    This one file i can't open is worth over 30 hours of work for my job and i need this fixed!!!!! Somebody help!
    I have tried open and repair and it didn't work, tried opening it with openoffice and i get loads of symbols rather than the original text. I tried converting it to .doc or .rtf and the file opens but it is empty.
    I have attached the file.
    Edit - I have just tried to open .pdf files that are saved in the same place (on a usb pen) and these files won't open either, i get the message that they are damaged? is there a problem with my memory stick?
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Becki Massey; 2014-08-08 at 11:26.

Thanks
    I've tried opening that document with Notepad, and it finds absolutely nothing in it. No text at all. A hex dump of the file shows it is entirely composed of binary zeroes. In our British slang, "it's stuffed".

I suspect your USB Flash Drive is corrupt, and that there's nothing you can do to recover any of the documents. You could try to use a program like Recuva, but I wouldn't hold out much hope - sorry...

This condition can happen only too often with Flash Drives, usually because the "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media" procedure hasn't been done. The only 'solution' is to reformat the drive, and see if it then works - but your documents would be deleted by that action, of course.
    Last edited by BATcher; 2014-08-08 at 11:40.
    BATcher

Dear Diary, today the Hundred Years War started ...

Thanks
    I tried opening the file with Word, but it told me that the file was corrupted. Notepad and Wordpad showed tons of empty pages. Absolutely no characters.

It's going to be hard, but I found these data recovery tools on the Internet. Hope they work for you:

http://www.systoolsgroup.com/pen-drive-recovery.html

http://www.easeus.com/resource/pen-drive-recovery.htm
    Fact of Life:

“Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.”
    Terry Pratchett

Thanks
    Becki, you might get lucky and find a Word autosave copy of your file. Go into your settings for Word, to the File Locations, and see where the autosave folder is. Look in that folder for any items which have approximately the correct time, date, and size. If you find anything which might be a copy of your file, then make a copy of that item, make sure the copy has .docx as the extension, and then try to open it. As I said, you might get lucky.

Thanks
    Becki, I second and third the opinions above. There's nothing in this file.

A .docx file is essentially a zipped file and if you change the extension from .docx to .zip, you can view the structure of the document in its xml parts.

When I did this and tried to unzip, I got this message:

"Cannot Complete the Compressed (zipped) Folders Extraction Wizard"

The compressed (zipped) folder is empty.

Before you can extract files, you must copy files to this compressed (zipped) folder."

In other words, there's nothing in the file.

Another possibility for finding a partial file is on the flash drive itself--are there any files that begin with "~" in the same folder?

As someone has pointed out, flash drives are notorious for corrupting files. Word sometimes holds a ghostly connection to a document even after it's been closed. If you remove the flash drive and break that ghostly connection, any "open" files can suffer. So make sure Word in closed and to use the proper technique to remove the flash drive.

So sorry about this.

Best, Kim

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It's a tough lesson but flash pen drives are not a substitute for a HDD (or SSD). When Word creates a file, it actually goes through several stages of writing, reading and overwriting the doc(x). Flash drives are comparatively extremely slow. And if you unplug them at the wrong moment, you can destroy the file or even the structure of the USB pen key.

It sounds like the latter has happened here. A recovery tool may be able to recover some of the files on your pen key, but I would hold out hope for that Word docx.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Becki,

are you sure you are trying to open the right file – this file is absolutely empty – search in other folder!

//Senior

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I only ever copy original files to removable media, and even then, not until I have confirmed that I have the right file version i.e with the most recent save date/time. For very important documents such as reports, I keep the last two edit-iterations as [filename]-1.doc and [filename]-2.doc plus the ready to go version as file name-[Final].doc.

Why? Because I have been caught out by careless fingers in the past and it has cost me dearly.

The horse may have bolted in this instance (though I have recovered fragments of lost files sufficient to reconstruct the original document by phrase-searching the entire drive with ZTree, which is a hugely underrated utility with many time and life-saving features, then copying/pasting the text into Word and reassembling.

Billy

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    A note: I opened the file in Quick View Plus and as noted there appears to be nothing in it then I viewed it as Hexidecimal which shows only 16 groups of 00 for each line, nothing usable.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/10-...word-document/

Try getting it from your Backup file