New Lounger
    Thanks

DSum (Access 2000)

Thanks for the help I have received. I have got Access to do nearly what I want. I have one more question if anybody can help. I have a report called Invocice which includes a Subreport this has Qnty,item cost and Freight ,information put in by Technicians.This used further down the report to calculate the total parts used and a total for Freight and an Invoice is printed,a relationship exists between Job Numbers so all the information is linked to a job. The problem I have is when more than one record for parts etc exists in the subreport the calculation I use in a text box(named total parts used) only works on the first record and gives a total for one record even though 5 different parts were used for a job (the five records show in the subreport)I have tried using DSum to calculate the total costs for parts etc but this only seems to work with Tables and gives a Total for all parts used irrespective of Job Numbers. What I need to do is have an Invoice which shows a Total parts cost and Freight cost for a particular job can anybody offer a suggestion?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: DSum (Access 2000)

In the footer of the subreport create a text box to sum the totals you need. When the subreport is linked to the parent report by a job number, only the sum of the items in that job number will be included. The subreport footer will not be visible in the parent report but you can use a text box in the parent report to collect the value of the total on the subreport.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the help,I must need my hand holding because I cannot get your suggestion to work.The expression code I put in Text box 24 in the subreport footer is =DSUM("[Total cost:]","Cost of parts") which like you say is hidden, in the main report Text box I put ={Reports]!{Invoice]![Cost of part subreport1]![Text24] but I get #ERROR if I use this expression.I have tried several expressions but without any success, what am I doing wrong?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You're trying to refer to the subreport as if it were an open report, and that's not the way you refer to a subreport. From the parent form, you would refer to it like this:

=Me!<SubReportControl>![Text24]

Where <Subreportcontrol> should be replaced with the actual name of the subreport control on your report.
    Charlotte

New Lounger
    Thanks

Try this:

Forget DSum - I just use Sum

In the subreport footer, set the control source for Text24 to read =sum(cost of parts) - I am assuming 'cost of parts' is the field you are trying to add.

In the main report, in whatever text box you are using set the Control Source to read =[costofpartsubreport].Report!Text24

It works that way in more than one of my databases.

I must say I haven't yer had cause to use DSum so know little about using that.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your suggestion Charlotte, what should I put in the Text box I created in my sureport I have tried DSUM to total the Total parts column but this didn't work as I expected.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Graham, do you have the Northwind sample database on your machine? If so, have a look at the Orders form and the Order Details subform. There you will see an example of what you are trying to do.

MS used to also have a Solutions database which was shipped with Access and had many examples of useful code and helpful hints. I am not sure if they still use it.