Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 8.1 bleeding screen issue

It happens when I open or close anything over the desktop screen or switch between start and desktop.

When I open something, say a web browser, the screen flickers before whatever I opened gets to full screen.

When I close something it bleeds to white first then the white moves/bleeds to the right of the screen before going away.

When I switch between desktop and start screen they bleed together first before switching.

When viewing photos in WMP when I flick through my photos as one photo changes to another the screen flickers.

The flickering in all the above is not the entire screen, just where the photo, or browser is on the screen.

I have tried a system recovery to a point I made a few days ago, this didnt help.

The last thing I did before the problem arose was to install windows office, I uninstalled this before using system recovery but it didnt help.

The computer is only a few days old.

It is connected to a TV via HDMI.

The problem only arises if I have a folder or browser open at the desktop, if I make the folder or browser smaller from the left or right it doesnt happen, also the problem replicates when I press the windows key plus prtscn to take a screen shot , however the screenshot shows no sign of the bleeding or flickering.

This is what it looks like when switching from a dell chat window to the start screen and back again.

DSCF3934.jpg

DSCF3936.jpg

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by robgil View Post
    It happens when I open or close anything over the desktop screen or switch between start and desktop.

When I open something, say a web browser, the screen flickers before whatever I opened gets to full screen.

When I close something it bleeds to white first then the white moves/bleeds to the right of the screen before going away.

When I switch between desktop and start screen they bleed together first before switching.

When viewing photos in WMP when I flick through my photos as one photo changes to another the screen flickers.

The flickering in all the above is not the entire screen, just where the photo, or browser is on the screen.

I have tried a system recovery to a point I made a few days ago, this didnt help.

The last thing I did before the problem arose was to install windows office, I uninstalled this before using system recovery but it didnt help.

The computer is only a few days old.

It is connected to a TV via HDMI.

The problem only arises if I have a folder or browser open at the desktop, if I make the folder or browser smaller from the left or right it doesnt happen, also the problem replicates when I press the windows key plus prtscn to take a screen shot , however the screenshot shows no sign of the bleeding or flickering.

This is what it looks like when switching from a dell chat window to the start screen and back again.

DSCF3934.jpg

DSCF3936.jpg

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Just to add, pc refresh and reset come back with this excuse, "Insert Media Some files are missing. Your windows installation or recovery medial will provide these files" , My computer is a Dell Inspiron and has a recovery partition.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,153 Times in 1,062 Posts
    I would risk one of two possible causes for that behavior.

1. Graphics adapter driver - see if you can find a new driver from the manufacturer of the graphics card adapter or from Dell.

2. Hardware issue - it can be either the graphics card itself, or the tv. The fact that the screen capture doesn't show the issue may point to the TV or the connecting cable as the issue. Do you have a monitor that you can try just to test if this happens? If it doesn't, then you will know the issue may lie with the connecting cable or the TV itself.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I tried plugging the hdmi cable from dell into a hp laptop and the fault was still there.

It only happens if I have a page on the desktop maximized and try to pull up the start screen over the top of it or if I switch back to the desktop from the start screen, if the page is partially minimised to around half its full size the problem goes away.

Administrator
    Thanks
    So it doesn't seem to be the tv. It could be the hdmi cable, but that does seem a bit farfetched.

Does the computer only have an HDMI port or does it have a VGA as well?

I think now you need to find whether it is a driver issue or an actual hardware issue. Have you tried to find an updated driver for your graphics card?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    So it doesn't seem to be the tv. It could be the hdmi cable, but that does seem a bit farfetched.

Does the computer only have an HDMI port or does it have a VGA as well?

I think now you need to find whether it is a driver issue or an actual hardware issue. Have you tried to find an updated driver for your graphics card?

The computer has VGA as well. I spoke to Dell via their chat service and he told me I needed to reset the computer. I cant because I keep getting the files missing error. The drivers are all up to date, the computer is only 5 days old. I checked the graphics driver and its has a ''working properly'' message, I cant remember if it had a previous driver to roll back to, I'll check.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Just to add I ran an SFC and it came back clean.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    As it's a new computer, would suggest to ask Dell for a replacement.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by georgelee View Post
    As it's a new computer, would suggest to ask Dell for a replacement.
    I have managed to sort it. When I plugged my HP Vista laptop in to the hdmi cable I was unable to replicate the fault, however this morning I unplugged the HDMI from the back of the TV then plugged it back into a different HDMI port on the telly and the fault was gone, so I put it back into the original port and the fault was gone, so I tried all the HDMI ports on the telly and the fault has gone.
    It looks like it might be a dirty HDMI port or something, unless unplugging the telly reset something in the computer.

So one issue hopefully taken care of, just the problem of being unable to access system refresh and reset.

It tells me that some files are missing and to insert recovery media, the computer didnt ship with any recovery media, do I need to activate the recovery partition or something?

Or should I start a new thread regarding this seperate issue?

Thanks for the help so far, it is very much appreciated.

Thanks
    There should have been an offering @ the onset to create Recovery discs. That ability should, still, be available in the machine. Try searching or look around for it... Create Recovery Disc(s). Reckon it will burn, @ least, 4 DVDs.

Cheers,
    Drew
    290_Windows8_1.jpg

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew1903 View Post
    There should have been an offering @ the onset to create Recovery discs. That ability should, still, be available in the machine. Try searching or look around for it... Create Recovery Disc(s). Reckon it will burn, @ least, 4 DVDs.

Cheers,
    Drew
    290_Windows8_1.jpg
    Thanks Drew, I'll have a look for it. I think there is a dell back up and restore download from the dell support site, its grayed out in the my dell app.

If the files missing warning is there when I use windows refresh feature will this error get burned onto the recovery discs also?

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Cant make a recovery disc, When using dell recovery I get this message.

''The factory recovery partition that was included with your system is missing or corrupt. Some features including recovery media creation, factory image restore and system backup may not work but you may continue to use the application.
    Note. The recovery partition can be restored usin g your reinstall discs or bootable backup if you created them precviousley though you may lose your data and applications.''

I bought this from the dell outlet as a scratched and dented, the description said back up media not included, I simply thought this meant no discs were included having used HP products previousley and most of them came with recovery partitions.

Thanks
    You have 3 choices, as I see it.

1. Order Recovery discs from Dell
    2. Borrow an OS disc and install using YOUR Key. However, in doing this you will probably have to find M/B drivers once & after the OS is installed.
    3. (you may not like this) Buy another or a new machine. And, by the way, I do not recommend Dell or HP to any of my customers.

Cheers,
    Drew
    290_Windows8_1.jpg

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew1903 View Post
    You have 3 choices, as I see it.

1. Order Recovery discs from Dell
    2. Borrow an OS disc and install using YOUR Key. However, in doing this you will probably have to find M/B drivers once & after the OS is installed.
    3. (you may not like this) Buy another or a new machine. And, by the way, I do not recommend Dell or HP to any of my customers.

Cheers,
    Drew
    290_Windows8_1.jpg
    I think I still have a cooling off period with this computer, Dell are calling me on Monday so I'll see what they say about taking it back.
    The thing is I can see the recovery partitions when I use disc manager, right clicking on them just gives me a grayed out menu.

I am able to do a system image of the recovery partition to a flash drive or disc but if the recovery partition is corrupt I dont think there is much point.

I remember on my HP running Vista I could press f12 to get into the recovery options, does Dell or Windows 8.1 have the same options?

Edit - how do I find my key?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Is the computer working as you want it or does it have any issues that make you want to reset or refresh it?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast