Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    No its now working fine and dandy, I just dont really want a computer that cannot be restored due to a problem with the recovery partition should anything go wrong in the future.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,162 Times in 1,069 Posts
    You can simply add a 3rd party imaging app that will allow you to create an image, that you can then restore when needed. There some free and some paid, but many members here use free ones with complete success.

I don't rely on Windows 8 native features, either. I use Acronis True Image 2014 (a paid app) to do my images. If anything goes wrong, I just restore one of them.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    You can simply add a 3rd party imaging app that will allow you to create an image, that you can then restore when needed. There some free and some paid, but many members here use free ones with complete success.

I don't rely on Windows 8 native features, either. I use Acronis True Image 2014 (a paid app) to do my images. If anything goes wrong, I just restore one of them.
    But wouldnt I need a working recovery partition first?
    Or will these third party programms just copy the operating system as it is?

Administrator
    Thanks
    To find the Windows key, a tool such as ProduKey may help: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/product_cd_key_viewer.html
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by robgil View Post
    But wouldnt I need a working recovery partition first?
    Or will these third party programms just copy the operating system as it is?
    No you don't. They will just "take a picture" of your disk and will restore it in case of need. You can even delete the partition, once you have successfully imaged your computer (I always do that).
    Rui
    -------
    R4

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you, I will see what Dell say on Monday about giving me the discs or replacing the computer. Thanks for the info on the key, its now written down and in a safe place.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Sure. Just for reference, the most popular free imaging apps here seem to be Macrium Reflect Free and EaseUS Todo Backup. You should actually use one, even if the restore issue is solved satisfactorily by Dell.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    i will, thank you. My HP running Vista had problems with corrupt OS and recovery partition and it was such a pain trying to sort it all out.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by robgil View Post
    i will, thank you. My HP running Vista had problems with corrupt OS and recovery partition and it was such a pain trying to sort it all out.
    Yes, that's where an image really helps. Whenever I get a computer ready, OS setup, basic apps installed, documents in place, I just image and keep that as a baseline image - the equivalent of a factory restore. It will take less than an hour to get this baseline image restored, with everything pristine.

Of course, you can and should also take regular images. With that you always have both recent images from which you can go back with a minimum loss or, in case something goes really bad, you can go back to the baseline image. Couple this imaging with a regular documents backup and you can be sure you are protected against almost anything that can go wrong.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, that's where an image really helps. Whenever I get a computer ready, OS setup, basic apps installed, documents in place, I just image and keep that as a baseline image - the equivalent of a factory restore. It will take less than an hour to get this baseline image restored, with everything pristine.

Of course, you can and should also take regular images. With that you always have both recent images from which you can go back with a minimum loss or, in case something goes really bad, you can go back to the baseline image. Couple this imaging with a regular documents backup and you can be sure you are protected against almost anything that can go wrong.
    Sounds good, I take it an external hard drive would be best to store the images? I think I can add another internal hard drive into my computer, perhaps that would be better?

Administrator
    Thanks
    An external drive is probably best, since you can store it separately from the computer.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The problem is back, it has come back twice now and the last time I unplugged the HDMI cable then plugged it back in and the problem went away, this time it hasnt.
    This time I switched my TV off and switched off the power at the wall socket, switched it all back on again and the problem was solved.
    This is a problem with my TV isnt it?

This isnt burning is it? I've read a little about burning but I'm not sure what it is.

I've also had a result with Dell, they are sending me out a flash drive to reset windows (as a show of good will) on the PC so hopefully a clean install will sort the corrupt recovery partition.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Do you have a different HDMI cable? Right now, it's not clear to me whether it is the cable or the TV.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Do you have a different HDMI cable? Right now, it's not clear to me whether it is the cable or the TV.
    I don't have another cable but I will pick one up at the week end. Switching the TV on and off via the wall socket rather than the standby switch seems to have 'reset' the issue but when I tried my Vista laptop the first time this happened the problem went away but when I plugged this computer (dell) back into the hdmi the problem was still there.
    Going by that the finger should point at the dell computer so I am wondering if switching the tv off via the wall plug resets something in the dells graphics software?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Right then guys, I got the flash drive but no instructions, anyone know how to reinstall the OS with a dell flash drive? I believe I have to faff with the bios?
    Dell support gave me a link to a youtube video but its the wrong one, its for windows 8 and my system seems to be a little different.
    This is the link they gave me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6v5ewszMtGQ

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast