Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Browni thanks very much.
    Phil.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sudo I tried the Pro trial of SAS and it didn't turn up anything but I thank you for the benefit of your help, knowledge and good will. I have now deactivated my license and tried to run the free version of Malware Bytes and it hangs up in the same place don't know what to do at this point.
    Phil.
    Last edited by COWBOYPHIL; 2014-08-10 at 21:41.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,139 Times in 1,050 Posts
    Hi Phil,

If you allow me to say so, I think you worry too much about the regular scans. You were running the Pro malwarebytes version, which means it was providing real time protection. That being the case, I fail to even see the need to run disk scans, let alone weekly ones. In your case, I would probably do it once a month and would be happy with it.

In your case, I would get the Pro version running again and would try Malwarebytes support, submitting a support ticket: http://www.malwarebytes.org/support/consumer/contact/. You have a paid version, they will get back to you eventually. With the real time protection of Pro, you will be more than fine until they do.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

COWBOYPHIL (2014-08-11)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Rui thanks.
    Phil.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by COWBOYPHIL View Post
    Sudo I tried the Pro trial of SAS and it didn't turn up anything but I thank you for the benefit of your help, knowledge and good will. I have now deactivated my license and tried to run the free version of Malware Bytes and it hangs up in the same place don't know what to do at this point.
    Phil.
    The suggestion for running SAS was to see if it got hung up in the same spot - which it didn't.

Don't know if you've tried running MBAM in Safe Mode with Networking or with the programs under the Startup tab in msconfig disabled.

In Safe Mode with Networking, your anti virus program will be isolated should that be baulking the scan and if the scan runs okay in that mode, go into msconfig and Disable all for the programs under the Startup tab - making a note if any already unchecked.

If the scan still runs okay after the reboot, that will eliminate the AV program as the AV program reinstates itself in a clean boot - so it would be one of the other start up programs that is causing a conflict and you would need re-enable each one in turn and retry the scan - time consuming but once it starts to hang, you will have found the conflict and can leave that item unchecked.

If the hang occurs in the clean boot but not in Safe Mode with Networking, then it's your AV program which is causing the problem and would be favourite for me because MBAM has conflicted with AV programs before.

If it still hangs in Safe Mode with Networking, then you will need to see if the MBAM techs can earn their pay.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-08-11 at 03:50.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

COWBOYPHIL (2014-08-11)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sudo thanks very much.
    Phil.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Just let us know how you get on with those

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Will try to do that if I ever figure it all out.
    Phil.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Will try to do that if I ever figure it all out.
    Phil.
    To boot up into Safe Mode with Networking (<=Win 7) - tap F8 (usually) as you switch on and you'll eventually be presented with a few options.

Use the cursor keys to scroll down to Safe Mode with Networking and press enter.

The boot screen will present in Low resolution because your graphics drivers aren't loaded and it uses the on board VGA.

You can close the Help pane with the red cross as normal and then run MBAM.

If the scan doesn't hang then go Start - type msconfig and press enter.

You're supposed to click the Selective boot button but I never do - click on the Startup tab, check to see if any items are already unchecked then click on Disable all - Apply - OK then reboot and try the scan again.

Depending upon what happens then, follow the steps in my previous post.

Tom.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

COWBOYPHIL (2014-08-11)

Thanks
    Phil: There may be a corrupted file or a bad spot on your hard drive, and when MBAM gets to that spot, it hangs.

Here's what I would try, in no particular order:
    * Do a full scan with MBAM in Safe Mode. Safe Mode is "bare minimum" mode, so whatever is causing it to hang might not be able to run in Safe Mode.
    * Try a different product. You can download HouseCall for free from the Trend Micro website. HouseCall is a manual scanner, not an auto scanner.
    * Do a full scan with Windows Defender Offline. You can create a CD for free at the Microsoft website:
    (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...fender-offline)
    Be sure to have a blank CD handy, and be sure to select the correct version for your computer (32-bit or 64-bit). You will then reboot the computer, this time booting from the CD. When the scan starts, abort it, and restart it as a full scan. WDO is not the best product, but it scans before Windows loads, which means it can catch things that are buried deep in Windows.
    * Check your hard drive for errors using Check Disk (http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...windows-vista/)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to mrjimphelps For This Useful Post:

COWBOYPHIL (2014-08-11)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Tom & Mr. Phelps thanks to you both. I think I will let the MBAM techs see if they can do something and save both of your recommendations for after they either cure it or give up. Thank you both and I will not forget your advice and instructions.
    Phil.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sudo had some time and wasn't getting much from MBAM techs so used your instructions on running MBAM in safe mode and it went right through in about 25 minutes like it used to. From your advice looked at MSCONFIG and noted what was checked and figured from your what you said it was probably the AV and without unchecking anything in MSCONFIG rebooted and ran the same scan just for drills in a regular scan mode and it performed correctly not believing I could be that lucky ran a second one which also ran okay. Thanks very much for your help and assistance. Why did that work? Thanks.
    Phil.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Sudo had some time and wasn't getting much from MBAM techs so used your instructions on running MBAM in safe mode and it went right through in about 25 minutes like it used to. From your advice looked at MSCONFIG and noted what was checked and figured from your what you said it was probably the AV and without unchecking anything in MSCONFIG rebooted and ran the same scan just for drills in a regular scan mode and it performed correctly not believing I could be that lucky ran a second one which also ran okay. Thanks very much for your help and assistance. Why did that work? Thanks.
    Phil.
    It's possible that it could have been one of the AV Definition updates was a bit buggy and as the AV will have auto updated, it may have cleared what was causing the problem.

I think it was last year sometime that a McAfee Definition update blocked the Internet for all its users and McAfee had to sort it out so they could regain connectivity.

Normally for me after each month's Windows Update I have to do a manual scan for updates in my Norton 360 before I can get my home page to come up.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-08-12 at 03:38.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

COWBOYPHIL (2014-08-12)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks again. I don't use McAfee but what ever it was it turns out it was a great idea on your part. Its nice not to have that hanging in the back of my mind. A very slick option to be remembered.
    Phil.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    A little bit off topic but have things finally got back to being somewhere near normal after the terrible carnage wrought by that tsunami ?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast