5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Installing Vista on external drive

My friend wants to install Vista on an external usb connected hard drive. When he tried to do so he was told Vista could not be installed on that drive. The file system is FAT32-if I change it to NTFS will Vista then install, or is it just not possible to install any Windows version on an external drive?

The reason he wants to do this is that he used to have Guitar Rig 3 working on Vista, and although it worked originally on his Win 7 Pro 64 bit partition, when he had to reinstall the OS he could not install Guitar Rig 3. (I posted a separate thread about that in the Other Apps forum).

Advice would be appreciated.

Thanks and regards, Roy
    OS Dual Boot Win 7 Pro 64 Bit-SP1 & IE11 & Win 8.1 Pro 64 Bit & IE11-Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB

Roy Whitethread

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Its not possible to install a Windows OS on an external drive by normal means. It can be done by cloning an existing internal drive from the host machine to the USB hard drive, but the result is so slow as to be useless. The best option is to install a second internal drive and use a dual boot set up.

Thanks
    If you have a USB 3.0 drive connected to a USB 3.0 port, then go for it! However, if you're stuck with a USB 2.0 HD, don't bother. It's excruciatingly slow.

Anyways, if you're dead set on installing to an external HDD, see THIS article.
    Fact of Life:

“Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.”
    Terry Pratchett

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I solved the problem by making an up to date Macrium image of my friend's C drive (Win 7) and then installing Windows Vista Home Premium on the C drive. I was then able to install all the components of Guitar Rig 3, and that also restored sound to his PC.

I still had the strange problem regarding "press any key to boot from cd", namely the keyboard he usually uses was not working, and I could only press that key by attaching a different keyboard. Once Windows is started his usual keyboard works. I have no idea why this problem occurs.

My next job will be to split the C drive into 2 partitions, but I have a question regarding that. The Vista OS is on drive C. If I restore the Win 7 OS can I put that on the empty partition and name that partition C Win 7, and if not what options do I have?

URGENT advice would be appreciated.

This reply is a copy of the post I have just posted in the Other Apps forum regarding Guitar Rig 3.

Regards, Roy
    OS Dual Boot Win 7 Pro 64 Bit-SP1 & IE11 & Win 8.1 Pro 64 Bit & IE11-Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB

Roy Whitethread

Thanks
    A general rule of thumb, is to install the older OS first. Since Vista is already installed, I suggest you do the following:

1. Split the drive into 2 partitions, leaving Vista (C drive) on the 1st and empty space (D drive) on the 2nd.
    2. Restore the Win 7 image onto the empty space i.e the D drive.
    3. Now you will be able to select whatever OS you wish, each time the PC starts.

Vista will be on C: and Win 7 will be on D:

Hope this helps.
    Fact of Life:

“Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.”
    Terry Pratchett

7. The Following User Says Thank You to KritzX For This Useful Post:

royw (2014-08-09)

Thanks
    For the KB problem: check bios settings for usb/keyboard devices. Some fiddling may get you a solution but take note of what you change.

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to wavy For This Useful Post:

royw (2014-08-11)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I solved the keyboard problem by enabling usb legacy support in the BIOS.

Regards, Roy

Roy Whitethread