Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Wireless PLUS cable

There was a bit of discussion recently about whether to leave the wireless on if you also have direct connect cable. Power drain considerations aside, I inadvertently tripped over the best reason: to remain connected to wireless equipment, like printers.

I was having the darnedest time connecting my printer when it dawned on me that I had turned off the wireless. Ah yes...
    -----
    Well, I am either mistaken or baffled. The wireless indicator on my laptop says I am not connected, but I was just able to print to my wireless printer.

So...huh?

The indicator light has always been correct as to my wireless connect status. But how could I print to a wireless printer if my wireless connection is disabled, but my cable connection is "live"... is that accurate or should I be looking for a errant indicator?

Regards,
    Chuck
    Last edited by CWBillow; 2014-08-10 at 02:53.
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Maybe the "wireless" indicator only works for WAP access, not device access?

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CWBillow View Post
    ...But how could I print to a wireless printer if my wireless connection is disabled, but my cable connection is "live"... is that accurate or should I be looking for a errant indicator? Regards, Chuck
    It seems clear that your computer is connected to your router (which must have wireless connection capability) with an Ethernet cable, and your wireless printer is connected to the router via its' wireless connection.

Hence you should be able to print whether your computer is connected to your router through the Ethernet cable or through your computer's wireless connection.

Although there are some printers now that can be connected directly to a computer using a wireless connection these are quite rare.
    Computer Consultant/Technician 15+ years experience.
    Most common computing error is EBKACB: Error Between Keyboard And Chair Back
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Coochin View Post
    Although there are some printers now that can be connected directly to a computer using a wireless connection these are quite rare.
    I disagree, they are common now - even my super cheap laser printer is wireless, great for my tablet.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    I disagree, they are common now - even my super cheap laser printer is wireless, great for my tablet.

cheers, Paul
    Simple test: power off your wireless router but leave both your computer and printer powered-on.

Can you print now? No, of course not, because the printer's wireless connection is to the router and *not* directly to the computer.
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks
    Paul, Coochin,

I know the printer will work with or without the cable connection. It has and did for quite some time. The cable connection is a pretty recent addition. What it does NOT seem to be able to do is connect if I have only the cable, which I suppose makes sense as well, since the cable is to the router and not the printer. It just seems, I suppose a little strange that it needs the WiFi even when the cable is there.

Oh well...

Thanks,
    Chuck
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Unless you have the printer USB connected to either the router or the computer, how else is it going to connect ?

Thanks
    ...What it does NOT seem to be able to do is connect if I have only the cable, which I suppose makes sense as well, since the cable is to the router and not the printer. It just seems, I suppose a little strange that it needs the WiFi even when the cable is there. Oh well...Thanks, Chuck
    The connection from your computer to the printer is via the router. So whether you use a cable (Ethernet cable) or wireless connection to your router from your computer is irrelevant. Because the wireless printer is connected to your router it should also be available to any other devices connected to your router (other laptops, desktops, touchpads, etc.)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    Unless you have the printer USB connected to either the router or the computer, how else is it going to connect ?
    Sorry Sudo15, but you don't seem to understand Wireless Local Area Network (WLAN or WiFi) technology. A WiFi printer can connect via WLAN to a WiFi (WLAN) router, thereby being available to any other device connected to the same router (whether by cable or wireless). This does *not* require a USB cable connection to the router (the printer's connection to the router is via WLAN, not USB).

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    The wireless indicator on my laptop says I am not connected, but I was just able to print to my wireless printer.
    What it does NOT seem to be able to do is connect if I have only the cable, which I suppose makes sense as well, since the cable is to the router and not the printer. It just seems, I suppose a little strange that it needs the WiFi even when the cable is there.
    These are opposites. Which is correct?

Thanks
    Simple test: power off your wireless router but leave both your computer and printer powered-on.

Can you print now? No, of course not, because the printer's wireless connection is to the router and *not* directly to the computer.
    This depends entirely on the printer's capabilities. I have an HP Officejet Pro 8600 Plus (bought on sale for $150) which supports direct printing without an established network or a router; it incorporates those functions within the printer itself. From the printer setup menu:

"How to connect to HP wireless direct

Perform the following steps to connect your mobile device or computer to your printer directly.

1. Turn on HP wireless direct from the printer’s control panel. On most models, you will need to access the Wireless Settings menu by pressing the Wireless button or touching the Wireless icon on the printer’s control panel. Select Wireless Direct, and then select “On” or “On (with security)” or “On (no security)” depending on your printer model. HP recommends “On (with security)” where available.

2. On your mobile device or computer, ensure the Wi-Fi radio is on and then connect to the HP wireless direct network in the same way you would for any other wireless network. The HP wireless direct network name will have the format “HP-Print-**-{printer model}”. The “**” characters are a placeholder to represent two characters used to uniquely identify your printer and {printer model} will be the model of your printer you have.

3. If you turned HP wireless direct on with security, supply the WPA2 password when prompted by your mobile device or computer."

I doubt that HP is alone in using such connectivity. Consumer-level printers are made for two purposes: printing and selling ink. Convenience and ease of use sells more ink. Direct wireless connection is certainly a convenience.

In the case of the OP, it appears that the printer is setup as a network printer, so any device that can access the network (and has the required software installed) either wired or wireless, will be able to print.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry Sudo15, but you don't seem to understand Wireless Local Area Network (WLAN or WiFi) technology. A WiFi printer can connect via WLAN to a WiFi (WLAN) router, thereby being available to any other device connected to the same router (whether by cable or wireless). This does *not* require a USB cable connection to the router (the printer's connection to the router is via WLAN, not USB).
    I think you could be out of touch with that as routers can have USB ports these days (including the one I have) and can be assigned its DHCP IP that way but I do have mine set up to use wireless.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-08-10 at 13:25.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    This depends entirely on the printer's capabilities...
    It seems you have one of those fairly rare printers which are able to connect directly via a computer's WLAN connection. So?

Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    I...In the case of the OP, it appears that the printer is setup as a network printer, so any device that can access the network (and has the required software installed) either wired or wireless, will be able to print...
    Exactly. Which is why the OP could print via an Ethernet cable even though the computer's wireless connection was turned off.

Thanks
    I think you could be out of touch with that...
    Almost insulting. As a professional consultant/technician I cannot afford to be "out of touch" with such simple peripherals. I stand by what I previously stated, and what you have said in:
    ...In the case of the OP, it appears that the printer is setup as a network printer, so any device that can access the network (and has the required software installed) either wired or wireless, will be able to print...

Thanks
    It seems you have one of those fairly rare printers which are able to connect directly via a computer's WLAN connection. So?
    Wireless direct printer.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast