2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Question Shadow Defender problem

I recently started using Shadow Defender to provide some additional protection from malware etc. on Windows 7 SP1
    The prog works by setting up shadow drives which take all the changes made in the course of a computing session and then discards them when you finish.
    A bit like sandboxing. There are options to exclude chosen folders/files, or to commit changes to your system.

This works very well, but I have come across one issue that I can't resolve.
    When browsing I usually tick the 'Remember Me' option on websites to save having to input login data on every visit, but now the info is lost between sessions.
    I've tried excluding the Cookies folder, which I thought was where this info was stored, but without success.

Can anyone confirm where this info is stored, so that I can save it between sessions?
    TIA Alex

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Look under your username for the default browser cache location. Ensure you are able to see hidden files and folders in explorer.

C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\ Temporary Internet Files
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Doesn't help. I also excluded the Temporary Internet Files folder as well, again without success.
    Could there be a registry key with this info?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    You may be able to find something by opening Control Panel and typing show hidden files in the Search Control Panel box - it could have some logs that you could view by then doing a search for Shadow Defender, but it may need a reinstall and setting up again.

Don't forget to hide the hidden files again by repeating those steps and checking the Don't button.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by A1ex View Post
    When browsing I usually tick the 'Remember Me' option on websites to save having to input login data on every visit, but now the info is lost between sessions.
    I've tried excluding the Cookies folder, which I thought was where this info was stored, but without success.

Can anyone confirm where this info is stored, so that I can save it between sessions?
    Which browser?

Bruce

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    IE11, Sorry, I should have said.

Thanks
    Get yourself a true password manager that does not rely on IE to safe keep and store credentials.
    I don't think you are going to be able to isolate any specific folder or file.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It appears to me that you would have to backup and restore a registry key as well as exclude the IE history folder from being reset::

Starting from version 7.0 of Internet Explorer, Microsoft completely changed the way that passwords are saved. In previous versions (4.0 - 6.0), all passwords were saved in a special location in the Registry known as the "Protected Storage".
    In version 7.0 of Internet Explorer, passwords are saved in different locations, depending on the type of password. Each type of passwords has some limitations in password recovery:

•AutoComplete Passwords: These passwords are saved in the following location in the Registry: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\IntelliForms\Storage2
    The passwords are encrypted with the URL of the Web sites that asked for the passwords, and thus they can only be recovered if the URLs are stored in the history file. If you clear the history file, IE PassView won't be able to recover the passwords until you visit again the Web sites that asked for the passwords. Alternatively, you can add a list of URLs of Web sites that requires user name/password into the Web sites file (see below).

•HTTP Authentication Passwords: These passwords are stored in the Credentials file under Documents and Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Credentials , together with login passwords of LAN computers and other passwords.

Nirsoft IE PassView

Bruce
    Last edited by BruceR; 2014-08-12 at 09:32.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The developer tells me he hopes to sort out excluding registry keys in a future release. This would probably help my problem.

Thanks Clint, I'm using RoboForm, but it's a bit flaky in Win 8.1, which I dual boot with W7.