Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Two Pictures Libraries Displaying Differently

I have two networked computers, named GATEWAY and ALLIANCEHP. Each has its own Pictures Library, and each Pictures Library includes the contents of the other one. Each also has its own Public Pictures library. There is only one user for each computer.

For some reason, the two libraries display differently on each of the computers, as described below:

On GATEWAY, the Pictures library contains three locations, which it shows separately. At the top it shows the My Pictures library from GATEWAY, and below that it shows the My Pictures library from ALLIANCE HP. Below that, it shows Public Pictures, which contains the single Public picture from GATEWAY.

On ALLIANCE HP, the Pictures library also contains three locations. But it combines them all into one listing. When there are identically named folders on both machines, it lists them with identical names as part of the library.

One of my Windows 7 books talks about an option to control this in an "Arrange By list at the right of the library pane...", but I don't see such an option listed in the Arrange By list.

Additionally, which I imagine is a separate issue, GATEWAY displays the Thumbs.db file in each folder, but ALLIANCE HP doesn't. I think this is a setting of some kind, but I don't know where it is.

Who can help me figure this out???
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    I thought this would be easy for somebody to answer, but obviously it wasn't. Maybe this reply will attract somebody's attention.

Each of these two methods of listing libraries has its advantages, but I can't find a single word about them in any reference I've consulted. I'm wondering if the all-in-one list is something that has been discontinued, but is grandfathered in on my computer.

It's a puzzlement.
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

Thanks
    I don't use libraries, and have them disabled. There are some members here who do use and like them. Hopefully, someone can chime in on this and give you some useful information.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    I think a lot of people don't use them. It took me a long time to figure out their benefits. I have two networked computers, with pictures and documents on both of them. I often want to access documents or pictures on Computer A while I'm at Computer B, and vice versa. With libraries, it's pretty easy. All that stuff is right there on one screen.

I've got a Pictures library shortcut and a Documents library shortcut on the desktop of each computer, so I can get to the collections of pics and docs with just one click. I don't think I'd ever go back to the other way. The library way isn't night-and-day better, but IMHO it IS better.

It took me a while to figure out that one of my computers puts all the docs in one integrated library, while the other keeps 'em in separate lists. I haven't figured out which way I like it, and of course I haven't figured out why the two work differently.
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Lou, I may be able to throw some light on the thumbs.db issue.

I'm pretty certain that that file has the system attribute and will only show if you have chosen to show system files within explorer.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Lou, I may be able to throw some light on the thumbs.db issue.

I'm pretty certain that that file has the system attribute and will only show if you have chosen to show system files within explorer.

ETA: Just checked on my Windows 8 system and the thumbs.db files have a hidden attribute, perhaps you could check the folder view options on both machines?

ETA2: That's never happened before! I clicked on edit post and it has posted a new reply rather than the edited one.
    Last edited by Browni; 2014-08-17 at 19:05.

Thanks
    Under Folder Options > View Tab > Hidden Files and Folders > we have the option to "show (or not) hidden files, folders or drives". I'm guessing that's what can suppress the display of thumbs.db, etc.

In former, happier, times, I recall that there was a little "?" icon on these long lists of options, and you could click it and maybe point to the option you were interested in, and get a short explanation. As far as I can tell ain't nothin' like that any more. Pity.
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    There was indeed a "?" icon that you could click on and then hover over the various options to get a brief description of what it does. Pity it's gone.

However your post has got me playing with my settings in W8. I was able to get a similar listing by changing the view settings to list, Im pretty sure that setting also lives in W7.

Thanks
    Um, when I look at File Explorer just by hovering over any command etc, I get a tooltip. The exception is views, where it shows what the view will look like. Is this what you mean?

Thanks
    Please be more specific about where you get these tooltips. I get them on folders, but that's it. I see no tooltips at all under Folder Options.
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

Thanks
    My bad. I see that you were talking specifically about options - I was talking about the commands on the ribbon. I don't have tooltips on my options either. Not only that, I have win 8 not 7 (memo to self, read things properly). Just went to my wife's Win 7 laptop - that certainly doesn't have such a question mark - was it an XP thing? I suspect not as I searched (xp folder options) on Google and looked at some images which don't have the question mark. Where did you see it?

Did you get a solution to your original post - a screen shot or two might help us to see what you're seeing?

Thanks
    I don't remember the conditions under which I saw the question marks. I just know they used to exist. Good idea about screen shots. I will get some.
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

Thanks

Screenshots

Click the photos to enlarge them, ESC to come back here...

Here is the one that shows the libraries separately:
    CaptureGatewayPicturesLibrary.JPG

Here is the one that shows them as one integrated display. Note the inclusion of two copies of Adobe and ControlCenter4. Each of them exists on its own computer:
    CaptureAllianceHPPicturesLibrary.JPG
    Last edited by Lou Sander; 2014-08-20 at 18:14. Reason: Clarify
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I noticed that;

Disabling the index in Windows 7 will cause you to no longer be able to use Arrange by in Libraries.:
    Windows 7: File and Folder Arrangement - Group by - Sort by - Arrange by

Is it possible that indexing is turned off on the computer which lumps all the files together?

How to Enable or Disable Search Index in Vista and Windows 7

If not, click Clear changes under Arrange by.

Bruce
    Last edited by BruceR; 2014-08-20 at 15:15.

Thanks
    OK, I can now see some wood rather than trees (I think). I have added a second folder to my document library. To switch between your two listings I have to change the 'group by' option on view (remember I'm on Win 8 and File Manager). So when it's grouped by folder path it shows the files in their different folders. When I group by 'none', it shows all files in one list. This is the difference between your two pictures. Now all you have to do is work out where the grouping is in Win 7 (I just don't like using it any more ).

A quick Google suggests http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...7-ac6bf6868099 (I used "win 7 folder group by options" as a search string).

I hope this helps.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast