Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    FWIW, the question mark 'tool' that showed more information on an item was a Windows 98 feature. It may have been in 95 as well.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

4 Star Lounger
    Hillsborough (San Francisco Bay area), California, USA
    Thanks
    View|Group by|More--> uncheck all

Zig

Thanks
    I don't see any sort of "View" menu in my Windows 7 library displays. Is that a Windows 8 thing, or am I missing something, or ????
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

Administrator
    Thanks
    @Lou,

In your first picture in post #13 the "View" menu is on the right end of the menu with the small drop down arrow.

Joe

Thanks
    It IS called "View more.", but there aren't any options for "More" or anything like that. Just the usual Details, List, Large Icons, etc. I've looked at it a hundred times. Nothing.
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

Thanks
    But it's not view that you need, it's grouping. In your pictures library, press alt. The menu then comes up (intuitive isn't it!). Go to view then group by. You might have to click on more to see more options, or you can select none to clear grouping (just a straight listing). There are rather a lot of options under 'more' for pictures.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to access-mdb For This Useful Post:

Lou Sander (2014-08-21)

Thanks

Here are the keys to Library Displays

Your clue provided the key to solving my problem. This was NOT easy to figure out, and I think that few people know about it. In a Library window:

Organize > Properties > Optimize this library for: > Pictures - Creates one integrated pane with all the library's contents. Duplicate folder names are allowed, but there is no special indication that they are duplicates (which is potentially confusing). Duplicate filenames are also allowed, but this isn't very confusing except in List or Details, since all the other display modes show thumbnails, from which you can see which file is which. Selecting Documents or General Items instead of Pictures creates a pane with separate sections for each location in the library. There are other selections for Music and Videos, but I didn't try them because they seem so specialized.

Organize > Layout - Gives you control over what appears in the Libraries window. Checking Menu Bar enables the Menu Bar, which lets you see the View item and several others. The View item gives you many ways to Arrange, Sort, and Group the items in the library, but has nothing to do with the one- or multiple-section display discussed above. Disabling the Menu Bar gives you some more real estate on the screen. The unintuitive pressing of Alt will momentarily restore it.

Organize > Folder and search options > View tab > Advanced settings: - Checking Hide protected operating system files (Recommended) will eliminate the display of Thumbs.db and similar files.

Quod erat demonstrandum.
    Last edited by Lou Sander; 2014-08-21 at 12:02. Reason: color coding
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

4 Star Lounger
    Hillsborough (San Francisco Bay area), California, USA
    Thanks
    Lou,

You ought to mark this thread as "solved."

Zig

Thanks
    Yes, I know about that, and want to do it. Unfortunately, it seems to cut off further responses to the thread (I marked a recent thread as "solved" and couldn't post a thought that came up afterward).

I'm thinking that there might be some follow-up comments on this thread, since it was a pretty thorny problem. I'd hate to miss them. Also, some of the contributors are from the UK, and their day doesn't start for a while, and they might have something really good to contribute.

I'd also hate to forget to mark it as "solved", which might happen if I delay.

Decisions, decisions, decisions...

PS - I wonder if I'm the only one who can mark it "solved", since I originated it.
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

Thanks
    Thanks Lou, glad you got it solved. Most of what you say (I think) is in file explorer's ribbon, or can be seen by right clicking the library. So it appears to be easier in Win 8 compared to Win 7 (which is what I found when I tried it on my wife's Win 7 laptop).

As is teh case with MS, it's either one step forward and two back, or vice versa. Keeps us old'ns on our toes though!!

However, it was your posting of the screenshots which helped - I wish people did that more often rather than describing a problem - a picture is worth a thousand words!!

I agree with not marking a thread as solved too soon - people do like to comment, ask questions etc. Perhaps there should be two options - solved which doesn't close it and locked once the thread is really finished.

Thanks
    Good advice on screenshots. My tendency is to put a lot of effort into describing the problem. It's easy to forget that it also takes a lot of effort to understand what I'm talking about. The screenshots DID prompt the solution.

In this case, as in a lot of computer stuff, the solution is there and it isn't complicated. The problem lies in finding it.
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Here's a XP image displaying the question marked referred to (not what is circled, but on top rhs of the window)

WinXP-ScreenResolution-Step3.jpg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12