Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Firefox crashes

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I have FF installed only as a spare browser and once opened, I pin it to the Taskbar and delete the desktop icon - which should only be a shortcut but when running Windows Compatibility trouble shooter, FF wasn't listed as one of the programs to troubleshoot or was it listed in All programs to create a desktop icon, although it opens from the Taskbar icon.

I had to reinstall FF to get the desktop icon back and only then was FF included in the trouble shooting list.

You can also run the Compatibility trouble shooter by right clicking on the desktop icon and selecting that option.

As you are running a 64 bit system, it is puzzling as to why it wants to make it compatible with a 32 bit system - as I've said, it suggested XP SP2 for me and SP2 is the highest SP for XP 64 bit - which is why I thought the system with the error was a 32 bit one.

Thanks
    Ok, Troubleshooting Reports gives d2d1.dll (v.6.2.9200.16765) as the faulting dll (https://crash-stats.mozilla.com/repo...5-5c5622140813 scroll down, it sticks out like a sore thumb), this is a standard Windows display/DirectX file. Looking at more reports of this crash for the last 7 days, 46.75 % of them occur within the first minute and 100% of them were using Intel graphics and running W7 SP1.

It feels like there's a conflict between Firefox and Windows/IE Update; I've not tried to search Bugzilla for reports but I wouldn't expect a fix anytime soon, probably easiest if you were to have Firefox started before clicking anything in Thunderbird.

If you wanted to spend an hour or so looking for a workaround, I'd suggest starting by rolling back IE to version 9 and uninstalling the prerequisite KB for it.

Or try rolling back to Firefox 28-30.

EDIT: the D2d1.dll version installed by the prerequisite above is 6.2.9200.16492, earlier than your version. That might be a 'safe' version, the version you currently have would have been installed via Windows Update sometime since February this year: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2912390
    Last edited by satrow; 2014-08-14 at 10:03.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Further to earlier response from me to Fascist Nation.... have been away from computer for a few hours. Tried opening FF, but got a window stating it was already open, etc.... (no it was not visible.) So I checked task manager again and now saw that firefox.exe is listed using about 130MB! What do I do about that? No I don't want to switch to Chrome: have tried it on the other laptop, find it very slow and it always always froze when clicking an internet link elsewhere... with an error message that says "hangout services has crashed".

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kennym8 View Post
    Further to earlier response from me to Fascist Nation.... have been away from computer for a few hours. Tried opening FF, but got a window stating it was already open, etc.... (no it was not visible.) So I checked task manager again and now saw that firefox.exe is listed using about 130MB! What do I do about that? No I don't want to switch to Chrome: have tried it on the other laptop, find it very slow and it always always froze when clicking an internet link elsewhere... with an error message that says "hangout services has crashed".
    Change to IE 10 or 11 - it doesn't bloat anywhere near as much as FF.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    Change to IE 10 or 11 - it doesn't bloat anywhere near as much as FF.
    Seriously!!!! ROFLMFAO

You can try what Berton said and revert back one version. Or try Safari for Windows or Opera. Tis a sad day for those of us who affectionately remember Firefox.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascist Nation View Post
    ROFLMFAO
    What does that mean ? - not up with all of these abbreviations

As for sad days, I think a number of FF users have deserted FF for Pale Moon.

Thanks
    "hangout services has crashed" is probably referring to Google's 'Hangout' feature in Google+. Are you using the 'social sidebar' or whatever Mozilla calls it where you can link to Facebook and such accounts? Googling the error text gives quite a few hits of users of Chrome seeing this error, with it being caused by various Google services being down. Do you always see this message when FF crashes (I don't think you mentioned it before).

FF29 and FF30 had shutdown problems for lots of users; 29 was bad for me, but 30 was fine. When you get the message that FF is already running, use Task Manager to stop the 'phantom' FF process that is running.

You appear to be at a point of desperation... maybe your profile is corrupt. Create a new FF profile and make that the default profile (if path/firefox.exe -P does not work for you, try the stand-alone profile manager: ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.or...lemanager/1.0/ at https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/...rofile_Manager to add a new profile). Without changing any settings to suit your preferences, see if URLs within Outlook now launch FF without it crashing. Then change settings and try again. Then add your addins _one at a time_ and try again. If you finally get the new profile set up like the old one and everything is working fine, use the Profile Manager to delete the old profile.

Note the stand-alone profile manager defaults to FF profiles, but can also be used with SeaMonkey and Thunderbird by appending parameters. https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/...rofile_Manager tells you how.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks again for all your responses.
    1. I just tried uninstalling FF and reinstalling it. Now it crashes no matter when or how I open it! I get the error "Plugin Container has stopped working". So at present I am without FF and am trying Chrome for the time being.
    2. The error "Hangout services has crashed" happened ONLY with Chrome on my other computer.
    3. Thanks satrow, but not sure I understand any of what you mention or how to go about any fixes.
    4. I went back to IE9 a few months ago for another reason, now have IE10.
    5. rodsmine: will try profile manager as soon as I can get FF to stay running!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have FF installed only as a spare browser and once opened, I pin it to the Taskbar and delete the desktop icon - which should only be a shortcut but when running Windows Compatibility trouble shooter, FF wasn't listed as one of the programs to troubleshoot or was it listed in All programs to create a desktop icon, although it opens from the Taskbar icon.

I had to reinstall FF to get the desktop icon back and only then was FF included in the trouble shooting list.

You can also run the Compatibility trouble shooter by right clicking on the desktop icon and selecting that option.

As you are running a 64 bit system, it is puzzling as to why it wants to make it compatible with a 32 bit system - as I've said, it suggested XP SP2 for me and SP2 is the highest SP for XP 64 bit - which is why I thought the system with the error was a 32 bit one.
    My previous computer was 32-bit XP Sp3. Does that explain this?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kennym8 View Post
    My previous computer was 32-bit XP Sp3. Does that explain this?
    Not when FF was a fresh install onto a completely different machine.

If it's okay in Safe Mode with Networking, can you check to see if all of your Plug-ins are up to date - possibly Shockwave.

Also if it works okay in Safe Mode with Networking - go to your computer vendor support site and check for any video graphic driver updates and then https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...o-fix-problems if still problematic.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-08-16 at 08:48.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    A 64-bit version of Windows can run 32-bit programs. On 32-bit computers programs get installed in C:\Program Files but on a 64-bit machine the 64-bit programs are installed in C:\Program Files while 32-bit programs go into the C:\Program Files (x86) Folder. As far as I can find out Mozilla hasn't released a final version of 64-bit Firefox.

Side note: only the Professional version of WinXP was available as either 32-bit [most common] or 64-bit. There weren't many 64-bit applications back then.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Berton View Post
    A 64-bit version of Windows can run 32-bit programs. On 32-bit computers programs get installed in C:\Program Files but on a 64-bit machine the 64-bit programs are installed in C:\Program Files while 32-bit programs go into the C:\Program Files (x86) Folder. As far as I can find out Mozilla hasn't released a final version of 64-bit Firefox.

Side note: only the Professional version of WinXP was available as either 32-bit [most common] or 64-bit. There weren't many 64-bit applications back then.
    As far as I know, the majority of browsers are default 32 bit but the version that is downloaded is OS platform specific as in the case of IE and would think FF is the same.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-08-16 at 08:56.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    This morning I reset FF. It started fine and I thought problem was solved, but as soon I tried to go to another website, it crashed. Then I tried opening it again, crashed immediately. Tried many times again, it either crashed immediately or when I tried to do something like "customize" or look at troubleshooting information, or go to any website, etc. Now it's useless at all times, not just when clicking a link in Outlook!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    See what it's like in Safe Mode with Networking as per my Post #25
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-08-16 at 09:32.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Not when FF was a fresh install onto a completely different machine.

If it's okay in Safe Mode with Networking, can you check to see if all of your Plug-ins are up to date - possibly Shockwave.

Also if it works okay in Safe Mode with Networking - go to your computer vendor support site and check for any video graphic driver updates and then https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...o-fix-problems if still problematic.
    Tried safe mode: looked OK at first, then crashed. I disabled all plugins on next go round, closed then opened FF, opene3d on my start page, I went to look at the add-ons page, it crashed.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast