Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Firefox crashes

New Lounger
    Thanks

Firefox crashes

I use Firefox (default browser) on two W7 laptops. On only one of them, if FF is closed, and I click a link elsewhere, say Outlook, FF opens but crashes before the page is opened. If FF is already open when I click the link, then there is no problem. Why does this happen? How do I resolve the issue? The version of FF does not make a difference as I have updated it whenever a new version comes out.
    When it happens and FF closes, a window opens that says "Firefox had a problem and crashed. We'll try to restore your tabs and windows when it restarts." I can then tell Mozilla about the crash (obviously after innumerable times, they have not resolved the issue!), then either restart FF or quit FF. If I restart FF, it opens on the page that it tried opening previously, and crashes again. The only solution is to Quit FF. Then if I open FF that page opens automatically and FF does NOT crash.

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    If Adw doesn't find anything that could be causing a conflict, recheck your settings or change it to Always ask to see what it comes up with https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...en-email-links

Thanks
    Don't forget to check the FF add ons. One may be corrupt or an out of date version which requires an update. This is frequently the cause of FF crashes.

Thanks
    Try uninstalling and then reinstalling Firefox again.
    Fact of Life:

“Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.”
    Terry Pratchett

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you all for your replies. Unfortunately the problem persists: I ran adwcleaner. I run malwarebytes daily, cc cleaner occasionally. No difference. Updated add-ons, no difference. All add-ons are set to "ask to activate" except shockwave flash and silverlight. I uninstalled FF a few times a week or so ago, no difference. Settings in FF ok. Any more ideas?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Is anything showing in Event Viewer with a date and time stamp for when it occurred, or you could run it again for a more immediate Event error.

Reliability history may also have something.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-08-11 at 12:04.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

kennym8 (2014-08-13)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I caused FF to crash as before, once at 9:38 and again at 10:00 today, then checked Event Viewer. The only items I found are:

Applications & Services Logs\Microsoft\Application experience\Program telemetry:

08/13/2014 9:38:16
    Compatibility fix applied to C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\crashreporter.exe.
    Fix information: WinXPSp3, {df35b822-a1fe-4b70-bc53-34ff726a7eae}, 0x40102.

08/13/2014 9:38:04
    Compatibility fix applied to C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe.

08/13/2014 10:00:07
    Compatibility fix applied to C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe.

08/13/2014 10:00:30
    Compatibility fix applied to C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\crashreporter.exe.

There was nothing in Reliability Monitor, in fact nothing since 1/28/14! (Why??)

I don't know what the event viewer logs mean.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    If you still have the desktop icon then try Control Panel/Find and fix problems/Run programs made for previous versions of Windows.

I no longer had FF's desktop icon as I normally dump unnecessary desktop icons and had to reinstall FF to get the icon back so that FF was listed in the programs to choose.

It only gave up to Vista for me using Win 7 64bit HP, but the trouble shooter kept suggesting XP SP2 which would equate to a 64 bit system.

As it's trying to make it compatible with XP SP3 for you, are you using Win 7 32 bit ?

One point of interest, although my FF works okay as a spare browser - was that when I went to uninstall it in Programs and Features, both v30 and 31 were listed.

The reason Reliability history is comparatively clean is because it had nothing to report, although mine normally lists Windows Updates and when I reset IE to defaults.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-08-13 at 10:38.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Open up your task manager at the next crash and see how much memory FF is using. See if the memory even gets released after the Mozilla restart. It has always had a memory leak (at least for over a decade) and they finally got it under some control a few years back but since FF28 it is back. If y0ou find your FF is hogging 2, 3Gb or more well welcome to Chrome...they have a 64bitbeta you can try.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascist Nation View Post
    Open up your task manager at the next crash and see how much memory FF is using. See if the memory even gets released after the Mozilla restart. It has always had a memory leak (at least for over a decade) and they finally got it under some control a few years back but since FF28 it is back. If y0ou find your FF is hogging 2, 3Gb or more well welcome to Chrome...they have a 64bitbeta you can try.
    From that Event Viewer log I don't think Kenny is using a 64 bit machine.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kennym8 View Post
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe.
    Kenny is running an x64 Windows.

Drilling down into about:crashes might point to some possible fixes/workarounds.

No one has suggested resetting Firefox yet? Help > Troubleshooting information > Reset Firefox button.

I would suggest removing anything in Firefox that's using any form of Compatibility, it really shouldn't be needed.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    "if FF is closed, and I click a link elsewhere, say Outlook, FF opens but crashes before the page is opened."

Why would FF start when you open Outlook? What page is it trying to open - is there any clue to that? Next time you can open FF successfully, have a look in the History to see if the failing URL is listed.

To me it suggests a corrupt, out of date or incompatible add-on or plug-in in FF, which is somehow being triggered by the other application. Try disabling your add-ons and plug ins, one at a time, to see if the problem goes away. If you can identify the culprit, then update or ditch that particular component, or if it is a compatibility problem, FF should say "(name) is incompatible with Firefox" when you do Tools > Add-ons. You can possibly get around this by creating a Boolean entry in about:config called extensions.checkCompatibility.nn.n (where nn.n is the version of FF in use, e.g.31.0) and setting it to false. (Whenever a new version of FF comes out, I always create such a boolean for the new version before I do the upgrade.)

Getting technical, but if you have Process Monitor, you could set up a filter saying "if process name is firefox.exe then include", and "if process name is not firefox.exe then exclude", and see if the resulting trace gives any clue to the crash.
    Last edited by Bundaburra; 2014-08-13 at 23:44.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you all for your replies. Yes, I have 64-bit Win7 Sp1 Home Premium on this computer. (I have Win7 Pro Sp1 on the other laptop.)
    Before resetting FF, I looked at troubleshooting information and then the most recent crash report: here it is: https://crash-stats.mozilla.com/repo...5-5c5622140813 None of this means anything to me.
    If I go to about:crashes I get a list going back to 2010 with 74 crashes listed, 55 of them in 2014.
    The only FF listed in Control Panel is shown as: Mozilla Firefox 31.0 (x86 en-US).
    Bundaburra: you misunderstood my statement: What I mean is that FF is closed. Outlook is open and receives an email with an internet link. When clicking that link, FF opens (since it is default browser), then goes through the crash process, etc. It does not crash if FF is already open before clicking that link.
    Fascist Nation: task manager: normal running of FF: about 155MB. When I forced a crash as before, it went up to about 130MB, then nothing, not even listed after it crashed and closed.
    I disabled add-ons one at a time, enabling each before disabling the next. The results were the same all the time. I did notice one thing: the crash seems to happen only when I move the cursor! Although this is a laptop, I use a wireless mouse and keyboard.
    Sudo15: I am not sure I understand your suggestion regarding the FF icon.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I just found out from my Domain Hosting service that Firefox 31 is causing several problems for them and their customers [they didn't enumerate them] so I reverted to version 30 and no issue. I did go into Options [Preferences on Mac OS X] and the Update tab and set to notify but not install. My problem with Firefox 31 occurred on Win Vista, Win7, Win8.1 and Mac OS X 10.9, haven't tried it on Linux Mint 17 yet.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast