3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Word 2003 File search "all word forms"

I just helped a friend upgrade to MS Office 2003 last week. Everything went pretty smoothly, but one issue remains.

It appears that Microsoft made major changes in the File Search feature between Office 2000 and Office 2003. The particular feature that is now missing is the ability to search multiple Word documents, and specify "all word forms".

I'm curious if anyone knows of a good / cheap solution. Maybe I'm blind and just can't see this option?

I did find some "grep" programs which could do this type of search - no need to do text replacements within the files. She prefers to do everything inside the MS Word interface.
    Rick Groszkiewicz
    Life is too short to drink bad wine (or bad coffee!)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rgrosz View Post
    I did find some "grep" programs which could do this type of search - no need to do text replacements within the files. She prefers to do everything inside the MS Word interface.
    After trying most of these Grep programs, we only found one that actually searches MS Word documents, which is BareGrep. This program has not been updated since 2006, and it kinda sorta works. I haven't figured out how to find "all word forms" using the regex option.
    Rick Groszkiewicz

Administrator
    Thanks
    The inability to search multiple documents sure contradicts what the KB article says.

As far as searching "all word forms", can't you used an advanced search. See this very old thread Looking for Advanced Search and Replace expertise (Word 2003 SP-1) for some advanced searching advice.

Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I reviewed that older thread, but didn't see anything applicable to my situation. I already looked at File / File Search / Advanced File Search. There are no "new" options there - it is identical to what you see after File / Open / Tools / Search / Advanced.
    Rick Groszkiewicz