New Lounger
    Thanks

Win7 network connection problem

I am unable to get an internet connection using a Windows 7 PC. My connection using a Mac works fine. I used the same cable to the same port on the router with the Windows PC.

I have been using a Mac for years without issues. This is the first time I've tried connecting a PC running Windows 7 Home Premium.

I am thinking that the problem may be due to the firewall settings. When I set up the PC, I did not intend for it to be connected to the internet. (Long story - I just can't spend the time trying to keep up with the constant security updates involved in maintaining a Windows system. I find Macs are much easier to maintain.) Anyway, during setup I set *up a very restrictive Windows firewall. I'm enclosing two files that (1) summarizes the system setup - shows the ethernet connection is OK, and (2) shows the firewall setup.

Any thoughts as to whether the firewall might be the problem?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    The easy way to find out is to temporarily turn Windows Firewall off and see if you can connect.

Jerry

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Did you set your network adapter to have a fixed IP? You should use DHCP for IP addresses as the router then tells your computer what to use and how to connect to the internet.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Jerry, Paul:

Thank you for your suggestions, and sorry for the delay in acknowledging.

I did try turning off the Firewall and that worked, as one would expect. Duh! That was embarrassing. So, obviously I need to reconfigure the firewall to be less restrictive.

The network is set to use DHCP to auto configure.

The reason I went through this exercise is that I use Malwarebytes Anti Malware (MBAM) to periodically scan my system for malware. As I explained in my original post, the PC is normally isolated from the internet. However, I do transfer files to/from it via external USB drives, so I am careful about checking for malware using MS Security Essentials and MBAM. Previously I was updating the MBAM database manually by downloading the relevant file from their site via my Mac and transferring it to the PC via a flash drive. However, as of a month or so ago, Malwarebytes no longer supplies the standalone database updates. Therefore, I have no alternative but to periodically connect the PC to the network to update the MBAM database.

I'd welcome any suggestions to obtain standalone MBAM database updates.