Star Lounger
    Thanks

Can't stream music via Internet anymore

Hello folks, I'm having some trouble seeing my NAS outside of my home LAN and have a few questions. First off, I am working with Buffalo but vial email since their phone support hours are only available when I am at work (like now).
    I have had this NAS for about 2 months now and have been very satisfied with it. I was formerly able to stream music from it either withing my home via WiFi or somewhere else thru the internet. Worked fine. However recently, it has stopped being accessable thru the internet. Buffalo has suggested that my ISP has blocked port 9000 forwarding. I checked my router (owned by me not Charter cable) and found that port 9000 was still forwarded as I had originally set it up. I have made NO changes to router config. They emailed me a link called CanYouSeeMe...when I went there and entered Port 9000 as the port to check, that website reported that it could NOT in fact see me thru that port. The ONLY thiing that I can think of that has changed is that in my area Charter has rolled out their new faster Spectrum service (100 Mbps down) and in that process I was sent a new cable modem.
    Is it possible that Charter can block port 9000 forwarding thru their modem even though MY router has it forwarded? I haven't had a chance to call Charter yet and wanted the collective wisdom of the group here. That is the only thing I can think of that has changed on my end between the time that it was working vs the time that it was not.
    Thanks in advance.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Your ISP can block any port they like within their systems and you will never see the block nor be able to fix the problem it may cause. ISPs are always on the lookout for ways to reduce traffic and blocking outbound ports is a very good method. This is the most likely reason you can no longer stream your music.
    If you want to be able to stream anything from your site you need to pay for a link that you control, not the ISP, and that will not be cheap.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Can you change the port the Nas server uses??
    A vpn is also a possibility.

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'll look into those things. I have to ask Buffalo about that. Thanks.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Are you using the Buffalo NAS Cloudstor service for Internet access or doesn't that service apply any more?

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Not using Cloudstor. The NAS is the cloud. Last night it would not work thru cellular network, only when phone was on the same router as the NAS. Today, it works. I have changed nothing. Aggravating. Can't change the port either in response to earlier question.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    If your router supports VPN endpoints you may be able to create a VPN to the router and redirect that to port 9000 on the NAS. ISPs inevitably allow VPNs.

cheers, Paul