New Lounger
    Thanks

Win7 login password fail

I got back from a 4 day trip, during which the system was powered down, and tried to login. My password was rejected. I attempted to roll back to a previous to the last two critcal updates condition but this did not allow me to log in. Since there had been no activity on this system for 4 days I assumed that what ever happened was during the last powered up period. I sometimes will leave the system up for days at a time, I'm not very religious about powering down on a regular basis. I was able to reset the password using the reset disk, but that did not help.

I can log into Win7 using the safe mode, using either the old password before the reset, and with the new password after the reset. Still not able to log in normally using either.

I will have to admit to not having a seperate user account, as I am the only person using this system, I'll try to behave in the future :>)

The system was scanned with Spybot and Malwarebytes, but MSE will not update on line. The internet connection is up as the previous two tools were updated in safe mode during the same session. I was able to scan with MSE with the definitions that were there.

Before I totally hose this, I thought it would be wise to post a question here.

Thanks

paul

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Are you able to create another admin account with a different/modified name and password ?

If you can then use this article to copy your files to the new account http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...b-1b670dd6706d
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-08-11 at 08:50.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I was unable to create another user account. Was not allowed...

I did roll back to an ealier restore point, 20July14, and was able to log in and perform MSE update, scanning now...

I will now have to apply updates OAAT and see which one hosed the login/user account.

Thanks

paul

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    It seems strange that you weren't allowed to create another admin account as you had managed to log in, as you can create as many admin accounts as you like - wonder if it would have needed the hidden admin account under the circumstances.

If you ever need it, you need to open a command prompt as an admin by going Start - type cmd.exe then right click on cmd and select Run as administrator - accept the UAC and at the cmd prompt enter -

net user administrator /active:yes

That will give you a separate Administrator icon and when you are done with it, just repeat the command and substitute yes for no as it shouldn't remain enabled as it doesn't require a password to use it.

What updates did you have after 20th July ?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    It seems strange that you weren't allowed to create another admin account as you had managed to log in, as you can create as many admin accounts as you like - wonder if it would have needed the hidden admin account under the circumstances.

If you ever need it, you need to open a command prompt as an admin by going Start - type cmd.exe then right click on cmd and select Run as administrator - accept the UAC and at the cmd prompt enter -

net user administrator /active:yes

That will give you a separate Administrator icon and when you are done with it, just repeat the command and substitute yes for no as it shouldn't remain enabled as it doesn't require a password to use it.

What updates did you have after 20th July ?
    Here is what I see after the 20JUL date:

7/24 Windows critical update
    7/24 Garmin Express
    7/24 Microsoft Visual C++ 2013 redistributale
    7/24 Garmin Express
    7/28 Windows Crtiical Update
    8/2 Windows update
    8/2 Windows critical update

Upon attempting shut down now, restored to 7/20, shut down hangs on:
    Hidden_d3d window
    setpoint.exe

canceled out of shutdown, execute C-A-D and closed setpoint
    shutdwon then executes correctly.

I may just go back to my TRS80 Model 4
    not really, but it might be a good idea to place the OS in eprom cartridges... at least, hackers could not acces the OS and a hung program is only a quick power button away from recovery...

paul

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/ [easy; just resets password to its default of none]

A lot of password tools can be found on Hiren's Boot CD, including Offline NT.

Are you sure you didn't just kill too many brain cells on you vacation? :-)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascist Nation View Post
    http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/ [easy; just resets password to its default of none]

A lot of password tools can be found on Hiren's Boot CD, including Offline NT.

Are you sure you didn't just kill too many brain cells on you vacation? :-)
    Ya, I'm pretty sure... two beers and one IPA over 4 days isn't likely to kill off many brain cells...

the problem with the boot cds is removing them before you cscan your system... alot of the iso's trigger malware detections...

The problem centered around the password working in safe mode, but not during a cold boot startup. I could change it with the password reset disk, and use the new password in safemode, but still not in a cold boot. Changed it back...

paul

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ironmonger View Post
    Upon attempting shut down now, restored to 7/20, shut down hangs on:
    Hidden_d3d window
    setpoint.exe
    Downloading and reinstalling Logitech mouse software may solve that: hidden_d3d window

Bruce

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It can't trigger a malware alert. That is the point of a boot disk...it provides the OS not Windows. [Unless your BIOS (UEFI) has some block or we are talking a BIOS password and not Win7.]

And if a AV app detects a "malware" in an downloading ISO, so what, you either temp disable the AV or tell it everything is OK and to ignore it: That is why those options are there.

Your alternatives are to restore your boot Win7 partition form the last image backup or clean install it. The latter is a pretty bad alternative and the former sucks if it has been a while since backing it up.
    Last edited by Fascist Nation; 2014-08-11 at 19:04.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Maybe you need to reset W7 password to blank, you can follow this Wikihow guide: How to reset Windows 7 password