Star Lounger
    Thanks

Post How to Manage VOB files

In Windows 8.1 I have tried to burn to a blank DVD-R Disc a cartoon/movie with VOB & ancillary files;
    forum re vob.JPG
    I have a number of problems:
    1: I get a message showing the files and "Files Waiting to be burnt to Disc" -but no info on what to do next. What do I do to continue the process or do I need special software?
    2: I have tried to useDVD Flick & ImgBurn however a message says it does Flick not recognize the files.
    3: I have used NCH Express Burn Disc Burning Software with some success in that the Disc will play in Windows Media Centre BUT it won't play on my TV DVD player.
    4: I have tried to "convert" the files to mp4 (Windows) using Smart Converter Pro without success; mainly because I don't know what I doing!
    5: Is there another way of "converting" these files to one file in mp4 or avi format?
    Any help or comments on the above would be appreciated: Sorry about the length of this post.

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    What exactly are you trying to do?

For DVD ripping, backup, compression and conversion, go here.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I am trying to create a single file, e.g. mp4 out of several video files (e.g. in my first post). I want to create the single file and then
    use DVD Flick & ImgBurn to create a DVD that will play on my TV/DVD Player. TX for replying.
    Casso

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    What exactly are you trying to do?

For DVD ripping, backup, compression and conversion, go here.
    Hi Clint,
    I had a good read in the site you referred me to and learnt a lot: however I have not come up with a clear answer to my "quest".
    I have the cartoon downloaded onto my hard drive; it is in the format shown in my 1st post (there are several more similar files in it also - I just took a screen shot of some of them); I would like to convert that group of files to one single file (if that is possible) - then burn the single file onto a DVD-R disc.
    Is that possible? If so how do I do it (convert the group of files to one file). Hope I have expressed myself clearly this time.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Create a folder (directory) - any name will do. Inside that folder, create another folder called "VIDEO_TS" exactly as that without the quotes.
    Place all the files in that new folder called VIDEO_TS
    Then, open ImgBurn and choose "write files/folders to disc".
    Navigate to the folder containing the files using the "Browse for a folder icon" (3rd icon down) and choose it. It will only allow folders with the name VIDEO_TS.
    Insert a blank DVD and hit the burn icon to make a DVD playable on most DVD players.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks skcusime,
    I think that might work. I will try it in about 2 days time; just had word we have to travel to look after a sick grandchild; will do it when we get back possibly Tuesday. I will post and let you know how it goes. TX Casso.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by casso View Post
    Thanks skcusime,
    I think that might work. I will try it in about 2 days time; just had word we have to travel to look after a sick grandchild; will do it when we get back possibly Tuesday. I will post and let you know how it goes. TX Casso.
    Thanks skcusime,
    Yes that worked fine. Is it possible to use a program like smart converter to convert all those files in the VIDEO-TS folder to one file, e.g. Windows Media Centre will play mp4 files?
    I know it is not necessary to do so; it's just that I would like to try and do so and put them on my media player as one file.
    Last edited by casso; 2014-08-03 at 16:25.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Sure, any video editor of course but also converters sometimes/usually have a convention for joining video. The one's I've used are Format Factory and AutoGK; the first has an advanced section for joining and AutoGK looks at the naming of the VOB files and all _01_n (where n=0-9) files are joined.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I would like to convert that group of files to one single file (if that is possible) - then burn the single file onto a DVD-R disc.
    The movies I download from cable's TCM channel are automatically saved on a DVD+R or DVD-R disc with the 2 Folders, will play back and also play in my computers and cheapo 9" Sylvania DVD player.
    Test 1.jpg
    If I want that disc in a single file such as .flv or .wmv I think a capture program would be necessary.
    Last edited by Berton; 2014-08-03 at 21:09.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Berton & F.U.N.downtown I have been using ImgBurn & DVD-R DL disks.
    Casso

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I never can find DVD-R/DL discs, only the DVD+R/DL type. The + and - on DVDs signify competing formats while the - on CDs is only a separator.
    Forgot to Paste this link:
    http://www.diffen.com/difference/DVD%2BR_vs_DVD-R
    Last edited by Berton; 2014-08-12 at 12:11.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Post Manage .VOB files

Quote Originally Posted by Berton View Post
    I never can find DVD-R/DL discs, only the DVD+R/DL type. The + and - on DVDs signify competing formats while the - on CDs is only a separator.
    Forgot to Paste this link:
    http://www.diffen.com/difference/DVD%2BR_vs_DVD-R
    Thanks for the info - I gather from all that, that it does not really matter which format you use, but technically DVD+R has some advantage over DVD-R.
    Today I was playing around with some files & found a video music file with just a .VOB extension on my PC. I opened it with Windows Movie Maker and found that I could convert it to mp4 within that program and then burn it to a DVD-R disc using FLICK/IMGBURN without problems; it plays back on my PC and my DVD player/TV.
    I just clicked on the "save movie" icon on the task bar to save it to mp4 format in the folder I wanted to save it in.
    Thanks to all who responded - I'm off to purchase some "double layer" DVD+R DL OR DVD-R DL discs for my larger movies.