2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Task Manager is gone

Since Win 3 I have used ctrl+alt+delete to access Program manager but is is gone, vanished now I can only lock or log off. Would this have to do with M$ latest update?
    How do I get to program manager now?
    Why has this happened

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Are you talking about Task Manager? I do have Task Manager available when I use Ctrl+Alt+Del. It also allows me to Switch User.

If you are indeed talking about Task Manager you can type Task Manager in the search box (Win 7 - Do not remember in Vista) and Run box.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    try ctrl + shift + esc see if that brings up the task manager

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubyjim View Post
    Since Win 3 I have used ctrl+alt+delete to access Program manager but is is gone, vanished now I can only lock or log off. Would this have to do with M$ latest update?
    Why has this happened
    jim,
    Hello.... Your indeed correct it should bring up "Program manager" ( not sure what it is actually called ) but i use this as well on VIsta... lock computer, switch user , start task manager , etc. Yes patches can cause things to break ....Go to, and run a "restore point " (If you use them) and that should work as one would have been created when installing a patch... 2nd if that doesn't work try and run "sfc /scannow" ( System File Checker...no quotes ) from an elevated "command prompt" this will restore the broken file. Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Do the obvious

Why has this happened
    I am up-to-date on Vista SP2 and this is not happening to me. There was a short period a few weeks ago when the manager would not come up at first but a thorough cleaning resolved that and speeded up the computer. So...

Do the obvious:
    • Turn it off. Turn it on. No resolution? Then...
    • Set a recovery point. Make sure everything is updated. See if the problem resolves.
    • No? Go back to a prior recovery point to see if that solves it.
    • No? Reinstall Vista and its Service Packs. Update everything on your box.
    • If that doesn't do it, call in a professional.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Have you tried right clicking on an empty space in the task bar area? It should show on the pop-up menu. I have found "Task Manager" not very useful as it doesn't really display all of the processes, I rely on Sysinternals Process Explorer a lot more.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    Are you talking about Task Manager? I do have Task Manager available when I use Ctrl+Alt+Del. It also allows me to Switch User.

If you are indeed talking about Task Manager you can type Task Manager in the search box (Win 7 - Do not remember in Vista) and Run box.
    Thank you, you are correct I was talking about Task Manager. It was gone it had disappeared after updating windows. I could lock my computer, or log off However, Task Manager has come back.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thumbs down So...

Thank you, you are correct I was talking about Task Manager. It was gone it had disappeared after updating windows. I could lock my computer, or log off However, Task Manager has come back.
    Sooo...this was a non-problem resolved by the on/off button? Did you hear the one about the boy who cried "Wolf!"?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Task manager is gone

my task manager is gone as well i searched for it and the file did not show up i ran every single anti virus program i have nothing worked and i cant do a system restore because my os is pirated might mess up my system configuration windows xp btw. their any way that i can get the file back somehow?
    Last edited by George StrongCorpus; 2014-08-26 at 05:33.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by George StrongCorpus View Post
    my task manager is gone as well i searched for it and the file did not show up i ran every single anti virus program i have nothing worked and i cant do a system restore because my os is pirated might mess up my system configuration windows xp btw. their any way that i can get the file back somehow?
    You may find a forum that will help someone who is using pirated software, but this isn't one of them.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It's also possible some features got turned off when it was discovered to be a pirated copy, makes the OS less than desirable.

Thanks
    FYI Process Explorer can replace TM

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.