New Lounger
    Thanks

Excel: Clicking in one cell annoyingly highlights several cells

In some of my Excel 2010 workbooks (and in some of my wife's), when I click on a cell to enter data or to drag its contents elsewhere, Excel annoyingly highlights several cells, usually cells below the originally selected cell. While holding down on the clicker, if I move the cursor up to above the cell, the multiple highlighting reduces until, maybe 2-3 cells above the target cell, I'm finally highlighting just the one cell. Note that now the cursor is, however, several cells higher. Why is this happening and how do I fix it. (I note that I tried Excel repair from the MS CD, and it fails. I use MS Office Professional 2010.)

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Are the cells merged?
    Steve

Thanks
    Just a remote possibility that it may be more of a hardware issue....Make sure that ClickLock (If available) is not enabled for your mouse in control panel>Mouse>buttons tab. Is the problem reproducible if you open the same workbooks on another computer or if you use a different mouse? If laptop, try decreasing the sensitivity of the touch pad. You may be unintentionally dragging while you are clicking.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This issue has been around for some years, and seems to be connected with using the Page Layout view - switch to the normal layout and it goes away.

Alternatively I've heard that pressing F8 twice (its a toggle key in Excel) make effect a temporary cure if you really need to stay in the Page Layout view..

HTH
    Last edited by MartinM; 2013-11-24 at 07:01.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MartinM For This Useful Post:

Maudibe (2013-11-23),PaulHBS (2013-11-25)

Thanks
    That's good to know, Martin

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It was there in Excel 2007 and is still there in 2010 but only happens rarely in specific files. Must be something fundamental or it would have been fixed.

It isn't a hardware issue, it travels with the file, but I've never found a proper explanation - just workarounds.

We 2003 stalwarts are immune

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MartinM For This Useful Post:

PaulHBS (2013-11-25)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you. I will try this.

For others that asked questions in order to help:
    1. I do not have ClickLock (which is available) selected for my mouse
    2. I have no merged cells. (An aside: I almost never merge cells, preferring center-across-selection immeasurably.)
    3. I am using a desktop.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Fix corrupt Excel files

Have you used inbox repair utility of Excel that is provided with Microsoft known as “Open and Repair”. Use it and check your problem gets fixed or not. If not then you can use professional Ms Excel repair tool.