Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Interesting Win update

This morning I was doing windows updates on my 2 computers, one is 64 bit and the other is 32 bit, both of which have Windows 7 Professional sp1 on them.
    I was surprised to see an update on my 32 bit computer for windows 7 sp1!!! It was only a 2 MB update so I went ahead and included it.
    The update was not in the updates for my 64 bit computer.
    Did anyone else get this update and if so, what is it for?
    Thanks for any info

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Go to Control Panel | Programs | View Installed Updates. Post back with the KB numbers for what was installed today that is only on the 32-bit system.

Why are you surprised to see an update for Windows 7 SP1? That is a common occurrence.

Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I was surprised because it said " Windows 7 service pack 1 " KB976932.
    I realize that since I have Win 7 SP1 that the windows security updates are geared for SP1 but that one seemed specific and it was only 2 MB so I was curious if it was something missing from my original install or if
    32 bit needed something extra that 64 bit doesn't.
    It just seemed odd that if there is an SP1 update then 64 and 32 bit systems should get it.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Windows patches are often directed to a specific release. KB976932 is for service pack 1 itself. Are you sure that was the KB for the installed patch?

Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yup, that was the KB number. It's listed in installed updates. That's why I was curious if something was missing from the original install or if other people with 32 bit Win 7 SP1 32 bit got it also.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm not sure if you wouldn't have had other Windows Update problems if you hadn't previously had SP1 but it can fail to install without telling you why and while Windows can repeatedly offer the same update even though it's already installed - I don't think it would offer that one unless it wasn't installed.

Can you use your restore points prior to the update and then go to System and that will tell you if you already have SP1 installed.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-08-13 at 10:35.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have never had any windows update problems and I installed win 7 Pro sp1 32 bit in approx. June 2013 and everything listed on the computer has always been listed as Win 7 Pro sp1 from installation time to the present.
    That's why I am so curious about the update.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Wonder if it had become corrupt.

As the new one has installed, don't suppose a chkdsk /f or a sfc /scannow would pick up anything, but you could try running either or both as an admin from the command prompt.

You could also run Disk Cleanup as an admin and that will clear out any obsolete Windows Updates - if they are in the GBs then a Defrag probably wouldn't go amiss either.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Since I have seen no other postings about that update, I have to assume that I was the only one that received it. As you say, maybe something in SP1 got corrupted?
    Since it was only a 2 MB update ( complete sp1 download for X86 is 537.6 MB ), it must not have changed a lot of SP1, maybe just replaced something that had gotten removed somehow?
    Before I updated, I clicked on the "more information" link and it took me to the windows 7 SP1 page where you can click to download the whole thing.

Win updts 8_12_14.JPG
    Last edited by lumpy95; 2014-08-13 at 14:57.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    https://technet.microsoft.com/library/security/ms14-aug

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...y-details.html

If you want complete, and I mean complete, details you can do this and go to the bottom of the log:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902093

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the links. The technet advisory mentions nothing about the KB for sp1 ( at least I saw nothing related to it ). sevenforums is helpful but the end result of clicking on "more information" will result in the same info I got from clicking on "more information" on windows updates before DL/installing the update.
    The MS support link may be helpful so I will look into that.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Bottom line you say the 32-bit Win7 update had a unique update compared to the 64-bit version yesterday. It has to be there in your log if it was installed (or attempted to install/fail). Then you could incontrovertibly share with us exactly what it was.
    Last edited by Fascist Nation; 2014-08-13 at 18:40.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascist Nation View Post
    Bottom line you say the 32-bit Win7 update had a unique update compared to the 64-bit version yesterday. It has to be there in your log if it was installed (or attempted to install/fail). Then you could incontrovertibly share with us exactly what it was.
    Well, I opened the windows update log and found the entry for sp1 ( KB976932 ) but I am not smart enough to know anymore now than I did before, LOL. It really doesn't tell me what was in that 2 MB package it downloaded and installed other than it requested a change to "Adding Windows6.1-KB2534366-x86-EXPRESS.cab (entire file) to request list. ".
    If anyone can glean anymore info out of the WU log concerning sp1, I will post that section.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I also received update KB976932 for both of my Windows 7 machines. And they say they are 2 MB in size. Secunia PSI also reports that Windows 7 is out of date. Both of my machines were built in February 2014 and Service Pack 1 was installed at that time.

lumpy95 - When you installed it, did it take a long time, or do you believe that it only installed 2 MB worth of updates?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tmohrlant View Post
    I also received update KB976932 for both of my Windows 7 machines. And they say they are 2 MB in size. Secunia PSI also reports that Windows 7 is out of date. Both of my machines were built in February 2014 and Service Pack 1 was installed at that time.

lumpy95 - When you installed it, did it take a long time, or do you believe that it only installed 2 MB worth of updates?
    It seemed to install pretty fast so I assume that it only installed 2 MB as listed.
    I also have Secunia PSI but I didn't notice any reference to Win 7 being out of date.
    Glad to hear that I wasn't the only one receiving the mystery update

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast