New Lounger
    Thanks

Difficulty opening browser (5.5 SP2)

I'm new to Front Page. Normally, when I want to view my novice creation in IE 5.5 the browser is very slow to open, if at all. I have found that if I open IE before choosing to preview in the browser it usually doesn't have a problem. I'm having the exact same problem with Dreamweaver 3. I also have problems opening the browser using the shortcut and if I double-click an htm/l file. YME?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Difficulty opening browser (5.5 SP2)

Every time you open a new instance of IE, it's trying to connect to it's home and search pages. If your Internet connection is slow or unavailable (you're working offline), it takes time for IE to stop the connection attempts. If you keep the instance of IE open, it doesn't try to connect to this pages when you open your HTML document. Try to redirect your home page to your local HTML file.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, kaplinb. However, I am not connected to the internet at home. Also, does this apply if I have the browser home page set to 'blank"--which I do?

New Lounger
    Thanks

All. I was told by a friend that my problem may be due to my ethernet card. I no longer have internet at home so I probably need to reconfigure the settings for the card to a static IP address--I think that's what he called it--or removing it entirely. He suggested this after I asked why Windows is also slow to open during startup. It makes sense, since I've had this problem since losing internet connection.

Thanks

What setup do you have in Tools > Internet Options > Connection ?

I was just wondering if you created a dummy dialup and had it set to 'Never dial a connection', IE wouldn't need to think what to do....