Star Lounger
    Thanks

Angry I broke Outlook 2010: remote data .pst file no longer accessible

I recently added a new card reader and was noticing weird things happening. Screen flickering, etc. But Outlook seemed to be fine until today. When I booted up today I got a message stating "Could not read the calendar. Access is denied. Verify the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not being used". And a message in the notification area appeared stating "<Microsoft Outlook> Cannot start the reminder service. Cannot show reminders. The file D:\OutlookDir\XOutlook.pst is in use and cannot be accessed. Close any application that is using this file, and then try again. You might need to restart your computer."

I have restarted my computer. I have gone into file - open and tried re-opening only to get the "cannot read" message.

Note that my .pst is on an external drive.

And yes, I have now disconnected the offending hardware. All seems back to normal except outlook.
    Help...
    Attached Images Attached Images

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sounds to me like the addition of the card reader changed the drive letter for where the .pst file was. You can right-click Computer/My Computer/My PC and choose Manage. Then go to the Disk Management section to view the drives and change the lettering as desired. I usually set the card readers at P,Q,R,S, etc., gives me consecutive lettering for Thumb/Flash drives, External HDDs, etc. You have to move a drive to a different letter before reassigning it, e.g. move G to P. I'd leave A and B alone and the Optical drive/s as installed programs might need reference to them. Usually Windows will assign a Network-attached drives/computers starting with Z and working back up the alphabet.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Please note the "is in use and cannot be accessed" part of the message. The drive letter seems to be fine, but outlook is having issues. Perhaps the driver has been messed up / corrupted ?

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Berton View Post
    Sounds to me like the addition of the card reader changed the drive letter for where the .pst file was. You can right-click Computer/My Computer/My PC and choose Manage. Then go to the Disk Management section to view the drives and change the lettering as desired. I usually set the card readers at P,Q,R,S, etc., gives me consecutive lettering for Thumb/Flash drives, External HDDs, etc. You have to move a drive to a different letter before reassigning it, e.g. move G to P. I'd leave A and B alone and the Optical drive/s as installed programs might need reference to them. Usually Windows will assign a Network-attached drives/computers starting with Z and working back up the alphabet.
    I shut down the computer for a day and then re-booted. Attached is the message I get when I start up Outlook. Outlook and my browser are the only two apps running!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Administrator
    Thanks
    You can use a tool such as Process Explorer to see which process/program has the file opened.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Chris, I too have my PST files for Outlook 2010 in a folder on drive D (an SD card) and all works fine. Your first pic showed Outlook had opened the file (or you wouldn't have seen the folder list on the LHS) but was having trouble with the calendar in the PST file. Perhaps the PST file is corrupted or contains a virus. Try replacing your PST file with a backed-up copy if you have one... I have had to do this in the past when my SD card corrupted and affected the PST file.
    Cheers, Ken

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    My apologies in the delay in getting back to this thread. It has NOT been a nice past few days.

Ken, you are correct. After starting this thread I started having problems with other files. What seems to have happened is the housing in my RAID array has failed, taking chunks of my data with it. I am in the process of rebuilding my data drive with a different technology. Hopefully, once that process is done, Outlook will be working again.

But it is the drive, not Outlook, that is the cause of the problems.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanks for posting back. Good luck with the re-build.

Joe