3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Running virtualised - is it an option?

Here is an interesting proposal:

Separate your data from the OS Drive first before starting this.

1. Take your PC as it is now, and create a Virtual Machine Image.
    2. Wipe the disk, and install the Hypervisor / VMWare infrastructure
    3. Load your Virtual Machine Image as the default OS when the Machine loads
    4. Create regular (weekly?) backups of your Virtual Machine image

This means that you will be able to restore your PC to a working state within seconds, if it crashes. Simply unmount the broken VM Image, and mount the working one from last week. Obviously you would need to make secure backups of your Data as well, but that can be done either in the cloud or through standard backup methods like USB HDD or network drive.

Has anyone tried this approach? It would be interesting to see if this is a viable option to keeping your system fresh!

Any suggestions on the best way of doing this?

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    This will work but is will probably not be as fast as native Windows. The other issue is drivers for PCs are not generally available for VMware, although you may get away with an all Intel machine - try the Unofficial whitebox list. To backup a VMware image either requires a VMware backup VM or third party software unless you are prepared to shut the VM down whilst you copy the files. Ultimately a standard Windows installation with a good backup program and an external hard disk is simpler and easier.

cheers, Paul

Thanks

Has anyone tried this approach? It would be interesting to see if this is a viable option to keeping your system fresh!
    Any suggestions on the best way of doing this?
    Oh I thought this was a suggestion until the last two sentences!

But I'll buy but a couple of qs first:
    What is a Hypervisor / VMWare infrastructure??
    The above would perhaps only be available on a newer setup??

I did try of a setup w/ my XP system last year and I am going to make another before I go to W7 full time after I build a new box. I will post on my methodology when I figure out just how I did it

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I think that would be vSphere Hypervisor as the bare metal install and then create one or more VMs to run either from scratch or from physical machines using vCenter Converter (I've completed that project several times--it works well) and configuring each one.

It's primarily intended for server virtualizations so I've stuck to Windows and LINUX hosts but it sounds like an interesting project and as Paul stated, the more common the drivers are the better chances for success.

Thanks

I think that would be vSphere Hypervisor as the bare metal install and then create one or more VMs to run either from scratch or from physical machines using vCenter Converter
    Gonna have to wait on the new real machine to be built for that. I was trying to figure out how I made my virtualbox machine from a Macrium image. I spent the last hour and a half rummaging around my system looking for the program I used. I remember I tried 2, one was the Macrium program the other ?? I know one worked for me and the other did not. I did remember why I am not doing anything w/ virtual machines now: The machine runs at a geologic pace. I think I will start a new build thread and see if a little crowd sourcing can get me going...
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't know on the first part, the last time I used vCenter Converter it was only compatible with some Acronis images.

The key to maintaining a fast system and also have a fast VM is to get the VM off the system drive unless the system drive is a SSD with plenty of room. External drive works well also (and makes the VM portable) if a USB 3 to SSD is used. The initial resource allocations for the VM can also restrict it quite severely; for instance only assigning 500MB of RAM to a VM by default.