New Lounger
    Thanks

msconfig tabs confliction

Win 7 Home Prem SP1 32 bit

Bitdefender prevents System Restore, and a work around is to do System Restore in Safe Mode. I find the F8 key method of getting Safe Mode a bit hit and miss. So I found that I can get Safe Mode using msconfig.

However I cannot understand the interaction between the General and Boot Tabs.

I am unable to get what I consider should be the settings for normal booting. I would have thought that the General tab should be Normal startup and the Boot tab should show Boot options Safe boot unchecked. However I cannot achieve this. (By the way I have never selected Make all boot settings permanent).

So, if in Boot I uncheck Safe boot and Apply, then go to General I find Selective startup selected with the two Load items checked and Use original unchecked.

Then in General I select Normal Startup and Apply. On return to Boot find Safe boot ticked with Minimal selected.

Could it be that the General tab is the master and the other tabs only take effect depending upon the General tab settings? Does Normal startup in General mean that the Boot tab has no function, and Selective startup in General permits the Boot settings to work? The following events donít support this.

Apparently running normally.
    Run msconfig,
    General tab shows Selective startup, with the two Loads ticked.
    Boot tab Safe boot is clear.
    General tab - select Normal startup, Apply.
    Boot tab now shows Safe boot ticked with Minimal.
    OK
    Restart
    Comes up in Safe Mode.
    Msconfig settings still the same, Cancel to prevent any inadvertent selection.
    Restart to Safe Mode again.
    Msconfig General shows Normal startup (not true is it?), Boot changed by selecting Safe boot (and found General has reverted to Selective). Apply, OK, restart into apparent normality.

Before I asked for help, I thought I had better check what things were like before I started messing about, and restored that image. General shows Normal startup and Boot shows Safe boot unchecked. A state I couldnít achieve above.

It is probable that I have no grasp of something simple (not uncommon), but would be grateful if some kind soul could explain what is going on.

Turps

New Lounger
    Thanks

Solved

I have found how to get msconfig tabs to work normally by editing the registry.

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig\services]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig\startupfolder]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig\startupreg]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig\state]

The first line deletes everything to do with msconfig, the remaining lines reinstate it with no data. Then one can get
    a General tab Normal Startup simultaneously with a Boot tab with Safe boot unchecked.

Because of Bitdefender (which I wish to retain) itís too much hassle to use safe mode system restores so Iím going to image instead. (I never used system restore with XP, donít know why I started using it with 7).

Turps

Thanks
    Thanks for posting the solution. This can help another Lounger in the future.
    Fact of Life:

ďReal stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.Ē
    Terry Pratchett

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    When using msconfig, you are either going to modify your Startup items, perform a clean boot or boot up into Safe Mode with the options it gives.

When you boot up into Safe Mode, only minimal items are loaded for Windows to be functional, so the non MS services and Startup items are isolated anyway - so it's academic what the options may/not change to under the General tab providing it boots as you've selected - and before making any changes to the registry, make a back up of the folder(s) first or create a restore point.