Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Can't connect to Amazon about 50 percent of time

Not sure where to put this... For the past 11-12 months, I get timed out trying to connect to Amazon about 50% of the time, whether I'm going there directly, am moving around within Amazon, or trying to go there from a google search result. This occurs with four browsers (Opera 12 and 15+, IE11 and FF31), can happen at any time of day or night, whether or not cache/history are cleared, and whether or not my router is hooked between cable box and desktop computer (Charter cable). All the browsers are excluded in CIS (Malwarebytes doesn't seem to apply in that regard). When it happens, I'll switch browsers and usually one of them will connect - or maybe not. If one does, it will go well for anywhere from one link to a few minutes, then I'll hit a link that won't load. So I switch back to another browser and maybe it works for a moment or awhile, until it runs into problems. With google searches, Amazon links connect less than 50% of the time. The error messages are phrased differently per browser:
    - "Connection closed by remote server" (Opera 12.17)
    - "The connection was reset" (Firefox)
    - "This page can’t be displayed" (IE11)
    - "The connection was interrputed" (Opera 24 Next)

This doesn't happen with any other website (that's up), although occasionally I'll get the same hang with a google search result for some other site. When it started last September, Amazon wrote that they had switched systems and everything wasn't right yet. A couple of months later, they said I shouldn't be getting this problem. Obviously, were it happening to a lot of people, something would have been done already. So, I'm at wit's end and wondering if anyone else has run into this or has any ideas about how why it's happening and how to solve it. Thanks,

Win 8.1 Pro x64
    Last edited by highstream; 2014-08-15 at 15:51.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    You could try opening a command prompt as an administrator and enter -

netsh winsock reset catalog
    exit

Then reboot and in IE/Tools/Internet options/Content - Clear SSL state to see if that improves.

Sometimes changing the DNS servers to something like Google or Open DNS either in the router or the computer's Network adapters (TCP/IPv4) Properties can also help.

Google - Primary 8.8.8.8 / Secondary 8.8.4.4

Open DNS https://use.opendns.com/

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks. I've done the first step and in IE, but it's had no effect. Not surprised, since clearing cache/history in the others hasn't changed the results.

Are there any implications or repercussions I should know of to using the Google settings or Open DNS? For my desktop computer, which is what I'm reporting about, the eithernet cable is merely pathed through the router's ports, which I've assumed is a passive electrical connection, that is, it doesn't involve the main functions of the router itself. Btw, I forgot to mention that this is Win 8.1 Pro x64.
    Last edited by highstream; 2014-08-15 at 09:52.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    It doesn't matter whether you connect wirelessly or wired to the router, it still needs to assign a DHCP IP address to your computer Network adapters to connect to the Internet and changing the DNS servers in the computer will override the auto ones default for your ISP in the router and is a standard trouble shooting step.

Here is an article for doing it in Win 8/8.1 which may help you to navigate to the adapters to change the DNS servers http://pcsupport.about.com/od/window...-windows-8.htm

Should you need it, this article shows how to open a command prompt as an admin to run the netsh winsock reset catalog command http://www.howtogeek.com/194041/how-...n-windows-8.1/

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    As I indicated, I already did the netsh... steps

One thing I need to make sure I understand before going further. The site you linked for changing DNS servers says the following:

"If your Windows 8 PC connects to the Internet via a router at your home or business, and you want the DNS servers for all the devices that connect to that router to change, you're better off changing settings on the router instead of on each device."

My question is, if I'm just running the desktop's ethernet connection through the router, i.e., to allow use of a laptop wirelessly, does that mean that the desktop PC is "connects to the internet via a router" for purposes of those instructions? As I wrote, I've assumed not, that from the desktop's standpoint it's just an electrical relay (something like plugging an audio device into an extra power port of a stereo receiver instead of the wall outlet). I've never had the Amazon problem with the laptop. Thanks,

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, when you wire any computer to a router you are using the Ethernet connection, but you can connect another computer to a computer to share the Internet connection, but I assume you are using the laptop as a stand alone device where it will be using its own wireless adapter to connect wirelessly to the router.

As this appears to be specific to the desktop, there would be no need to change the servers in the router and the laptop will continue to use the ISP auto ones in the router.

It will only be the desktop that will be overriding the router's settings.

Resetting the Hosts file to default in the desktop is something else that you could try if changing the DNS servers doesn't do it.

This MS article will guide you on that as you have to use the Let me fix it myself section for Win 8 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/972034

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've done all of your suggested steps on the desktop, from changing the DNS settings to reset of the hosts file, but it's not solved. Sometimes I get there quickly or with a long load, and sometimes it hangs and times out. Opened the laptop and at the same time it has no problem with Amazon directly or via google searches. I've sent Amazon a copy of the OP to see if that leads anywhere.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Which AV program are you using on the desktop ?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Comodo.

One thing I've noticed is that when I cut the router out of the modem to computer path, the chances of getting to Amazon generally go up a lot, although far from perfect. FF seems to have the most problem.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I can't really see why it should be the router when the laptop is fine but let's see if a power cycle will clear the air so to speak.

Switch off all machines, the modem and router and disconnect all cables for a couple of minutes.

Connect the cables back up and switch on just the modem.

When all of its lights have come back on, do the same for the router and then switch just the desktop back on to see if there's any improvement.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, but no difference. Not a surprise here because I'd effectively power cycled several times over the past year as the computer and audio equipment and cables were changed or moved around.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    It could be Comodo - does it include any Toolbar browser add-ons ?

Give AdwCleaner a look to see if you've picked up any malicious add-ons http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/

I've run Anvi Browser Repair Tool before now but it takes out my ISP home page in IE and changes it to About Blank, but it's easy enough to change back, although FF seemed to remain intact even though it has found and fixed problems in there - you could give it a try http://www.anvisoft.com/browser-repair-tool.html
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-08-15 at 16:11.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    No Comodo toolbar add-ons or anyone else's other than normal browser extensions. Thanks for the link to AdwCleaner. It did find several things, though nothing that stops the problem. I did get a response from Amazon that they've sent it to their IT team. They wanted me to call to get more info and amazing, the rep, who is in Jamaica - thankfully not India - actually took down the steps you had suggested here without trying to solve the problem herself. So we'll se.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by highstream View Post
    No Comodo toolbar add-ons or anyone else's other than normal browser extensions. Thanks for the link to AdwCleaner. It did find several things, though nothing that stops the problem. I did get a response from Amazon that they've sent it to their IT team. They wanted me to call to get more info and amazing, the rep, who is in Jamaica - thankfully not India - actually took down the steps you had suggested here without trying to solve the problem herself. So we'll se.
    Hope they have something a bit better than I've suggested

How did the Anvi tool fair and when the Amazon site or any other hangs, does hitting Refresh gee it up at all ?

I forgot that you can uncheck the option to repair the home page in Anvi which reverts it to About Blank when you click on the IE icon in the left pane.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-08-16 at 15:29.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've learned a lot through your attempts, so no reason to feel bad. Greatly appreciated. The simplest thing, but the one we've discounted, is that the fault is at Amazon. Anvi looks valuable, but I left it aside for lack of Opera support. As you might surmise, people don't often use Opera as a second browser (like most Opera users, I'm still with the pre-webkit version - the only full functional one).
    Last edited by highstream; 2014-08-16 at 16:19.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast