3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Cleaning Out Bloatware?

When I open task manager it shows I have anywhere from 75 to 85 background services running; with an idle memory load of from 1.4 to 2.2 GB.
    I am sure that a lot of this is bloatware and useless junk that I don't need, but when I look at the list there are a bunch of things I have no idea what they are.
    I would like to kill all the useless stuff, but is there some way I can find out what each is beforehand?

Thanks,
    rstew

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Windows Services ~ Includes complete explanations of each service and advice on which services you can safely disable.

http://www.blackviper.com/

Bruce

Thanks
    For the rest Google/Bing is your friend.

if the system is not having any problems though, I'd leave well enough alone. Its unlikely that killing these processes will result in a meaningful performance difference. If you do decide to forge ahead, I would make a backup system image just in something gets really screwed up.

Jerry
    Last edited by jwitalka; 2014-08-16 at 13:51.

Thanks
    I agree with Jerry. Unless you have issues with boot-up times or degraded performance, I'd advise you to not muck with Windows Services. Disabling certain services DID improve performance, but only on older versions of Windows. Newer ones do not offer any substantial improvements to performance. However, incorrectly disabled services have been known to bring systems to their knees. Therefore, I advise you to leave services alone.

However, you can check to see what programs are auto-started when you boot Windows, and disable the unnecessary ones. That certainly does help improve performance.
    Fact of Life:

“Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.”
    Terry Pratchett

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks all.
    I will revisit the startup folder and see what I can get rid of.
    No actual boot up or running problems, just interested in fine tuning

rstew

Thanks
    If any item in the Startup folder seems odd or you don't understand its purpose, you can always enter its name into Google. You can even post the names here in this thread, so that we can take a look at it and offer recommendations.
    Fact of Life:

Terry Pratchett

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I too would try and dissuade you from dumping services without cause. If you are using XP, maybe it is worth the effort. But Vista onward handle processes and services much more efficiently so their reduction rarely accomplishes much positive and can cause serious problems.

One thing to look at is to the option of temporarily removing all Microsoft services from the viewing list which will present all other services installed by 3rd party's. Google and determine if you really need them.

As for fine tuning make an image backup BEFORE you start tweaking. We have likely all been there and done that. . . to our eventual regret.

BlackVipre is a good place to start...here is another:
    http://www.tweakguides.com/TGTC.html (Regular is free to download)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks all for the great advice. This is a GREAT site!
    I printed the list of processes runnning, then Googled the ones I could not easily recognize.
    I found several that were not applicable, and a few that were optional that I don't need.
    So I went into the startup menu and unchecked them, and all is well so far.

Thanks all,
    rstew

Thanks
    Great to know!
    Fact of Life:

Terry Pratchett

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rstew View Post
    When I open task manager it shows I have anywhere from 75 to 85 background services running; with an idle memory load of from 1.4 to 2.2 GB.
    I am sure that a lot of this is bloatware and useless junk that I don't need, but when I look at the list there are a bunch of things I have no idea what they are.
    I would like to kill all the useless stuff, but is there some way I can find out what each is beforehand?

Thanks,
    rstew
    UNINSTALL all those programs you don't need. THAT will rid you of most of the running processes and start up crap.
    The rest can easily be curtailed by limiting them in the properties of individual programs, or using MSCONFIG.

The trick is you have to KNOW what you're doing; Google is your friend.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.