New Lounger
    Thanks

Software installation hang

In my Windows 7 32-bit laptop, installation of some apps, such as Ccleaner, Skype, webinar access client etc hang. I believe it is to do with accessing the internet during the installation process. In trying to get round the problem, I deliberately disconnected the internet beforehand. This allowed the installation to proceed up to the point where it needs to access the internet, whereupon the installer would (of course) complain about the absence of internet access. In the case of Ccleaner, I had to disable checking of updates during installation to allow the process to finish. The only clue from a Google search pointed to problem with wininet.dll. Unfortunately I have removed old restore points and the oldest wininet.dll is from April this year. Trying to start Windows with that version of dll still did not fix the problem. I have also tried using Microsoft's Fixit exe with no success.

Thanks
    Perform a clean boot:
    support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Now try installing the program again but leave the Internet connection active.
    Fact of Life:

“Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.”
    Terry Pratchett

3. The Following User Says Thank You to KritzX For This Useful Post:

tgt (2014-08-17)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Tried clean boot, didn't solve the problem. Still, thanks for the suggestion. Any suggestion to get an old version of wininet.dll? My oldest one is dated April this year and it didn't help.
    Last edited by tgt; 2014-08-17 at 04:01.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Give the computer a scan with the free version of MBAM https://www.malwarebytes.org/ and then one with AdwCleaner http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/ and try the download/installs again.

If you still have problems, boot up into Safe Mode with Networking to see how any installation goes then, as your AV program could be playing up and blocking and will be isolated in that boot mode.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

tgt (2014-08-17)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Sudo, I've already run mbam beforehand and no malware found.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Problem solved (well, kind of). I uninstalled IE11. That automatically brought back IE10, along with an older version of wininet.dll. Skype, Ccleaner etc installed OK.

If there is time, I might try saving wininet.dll, installing IE11 again and restore the saved dll. Otherwise I'm stuck with IE10. Might google this IE problem ...

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    IE 11 doesn't seem to sit well for some Win 7 users whereas others don't have any problems at all - you're probably better off with IE 10 as I have to use.

Don't know what will happen when MS start to support only >=IE 11 - may have to use FF

Thanks
    Glad you solved your problem! Thanks for posting back.
    Fact of Life:

“Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.”
    Terry Pratchett