Star Lounger
    Thanks

KB 2862330 Reissued kernel fix; ongoing USB Issues

The last time I saw "2862330 Reissued kernel fix; ongoing USB Issues" in Susan Bradley's "Regularly updated problem-patch chart" was in the 26 June 2014 issue. (It also is in the latest Master Patch Watch Chart chart, dated 01 July 2014.)

But Windows 7 updates continue (including this week's Tuesday updates) to want me to install update KB2862330, first issued in January 2014, on my Windows7 sp1 laptop. Following Ms. Bradley's past advice, I don't install it.

[Digression: Not installing KB286230 hasn't been a hardship. But when I am connecting more than one Western Digital External Disk "My Passport" to my computer's USB ports, I need to connect the disk with the largest letter name first (that is, connect Disk S before connecting Disk R, to get each Disk connected to the right laptop location). Whether that has anything to do with KB2862330, I know not.]

Has KB2862330 been fixed? Or has Ms. Bradley simply decided that it will never get fixed, so forget it?

Another possibility is that I have missed a recent Windows Secrets Newsletter's explanation of why KB2862330 has been dropped from recent problem-patch charts.

Thanks for any comments, suggestions, or other help.

R.N. (Roger) Folsom

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RNFolsom View Post
    Has KB2862330 been fixed? Or has Ms. Bradley simply decided that it will never get fixed, so forget it?

Another possibility is that I have missed a recent Windows Secrets Newsletter's explanation of why KB2862330 has been dropped from recent problem-patch charts.
    All patches are dropped from the newsletter list without explanation after six months, and only Susan Bradley knows why.

On January 30, 2014 she said, "What to do: Keep KB 2862330 on the shelf until further notice."

As it still appears as Wait on the master chart, I believe you're correctly following her advice.

So it's apparently not fixed or forgotten, just relegated to somewhere more obscure.

Bruce

P.S. See also; Whatever Happened to Ultra-Troublesome patch 2862330?
    Last edited by BruceR; 2014-08-16 at 15:47.

Thanks
    If it was me, I would install the update. If it causes any problems you could uninstall it.
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...#1TC=windows-7

Jerry

Thanks
    I'd make an image backup (or atleast a data backup) first, and then install the update. If it works, great! Else, you always have System Restore or the image backup to fall back on.
    Fact of Life:

“Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.”
    Terry Pratchett