2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Dual monitors, two accounts, and jriver issue?

I want to put jriver on its own monitor and the desktop and startscreen on another. Will switching between user accounts effect jriver, if say a film was being watched? and if both accounts are signed out of would I still be able to run jriver?
    I'm searching Google but not finding much.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by robgil View Post
    Will switching between user accounts effect jriver, if say a film was being watched?
    Yep.
    and if both accounts are signed out of would I still be able to run jriver?
    Nope.

Sorry, I know this isn't the answer you wanted.
    Fact of Life:

“Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.”
    Terry Pratchett

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KritzX View Post
    Yep.

Nope.

Sorry, I know this isn't the answer you wanted.
    That's OK, it was the answer I expected. Is there anyway around this? Perhaps a different account on each monitor? Is that even possible?

Thanks
    No Rob, that's not possible. However, I tried googling around and came upon several forums where users had the same problem as you, albeit with different applications. Some people suggested to turn the applications you want to run even when logged off into services. But I cannot vouch for the reliability and/or safety of these alternatives. Best bet is to never log off. Problem is, when you log off, Windows shuts down all your running applications. And that includes JRiver.

You can never log off and always keep JRiver on its own monitor though. Just drag the window to the second monitor, when you start the application. You can even have JRiver start automatically each time you log-on. Other than that though, you're out of luck.
    Fact of Life:

Terry Pratchett

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I honestly cant see a way around it either, the only problem with never logging off is when another user wants to use windows and we have to switch accounts, as far as I know this will interrupt jriver.
    I think the only way around this is to use a second PC/laptop or tablet running 8.1 and keep this PC as a media PC/server.
    Is it possible to extend one PC's desktop/startscreen to another PC? Although there really wont be any point in that if I run a second PC anyway and the account switching will still be an issue.

I'm really surprised that Microsoft has not thought of this when bringing out an operating system with dedicated accounts signed into their Microsoft accounts, I would have thought it fairly obvious that users would like to switch between accounts and run programs in the background also, perhaps they might implement a solution in a future update or the next OS release. Having an admin account permanently running in the background would be ideal.

Thanks
    I think the only way around this is to use a second PC/laptop or tablet running 8.1 and keep this PC as a media PC/server.
    Unfortunately, for the time being, that's the only solution. A highly cost-ineffective solution at that.

Is it possible to extend one PC's desktop/startscreen to another PC?
    No.
    Although there really wont be any point in that if I run a second PC anyway and the account switching will still be an issue.
    True, but you could just set up one account and always remain logged in. Although this method, as stated above, is ridiculously cost-ineffective.

I'm really surprised that Microsoft has not thought of this when bringing out an operating system with dedicated accounts signed into their Microsoft accounts, I would have thought it fairly obvious that users would like to switch between accounts and run programs in the background also, perhaps they might implement a solution in a future update or the next OS release. Having an admin account permanently running in the background would be ideal.
    Having an admin account running in the background can cause serious security issues, especially in domains. Home users too benefit very less from it. However, I agree that there must be some way of running programs SAFELY even when a user is logged off. But, at present, all programs in Windows require a user to "own" them. That is, they can only run when logged on with a user account. However, services can run in the background, primarily because they're owned by the "system". That's why in my previous post, I said that other users recommended converting programs to services. However, I really cannot substantiate the safety or effectiveness of this. Let's see if someone else can chime in on this.
    Fact of Life:

Terry Pratchett

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Is it possible to extend one PC's desktop/startscreen to another PC? Although there really wont be any point in that if I run a second PC anyway and the account switching will still be an issue.
    Not extend but if you have a Pro version of Windows or above on the remote PC you can certainly try Remote Desktop and pull that to the screen of choice or use Team Viewer with any version of OS. Takes a fast steady connection to stream media (video) remotely though and as you say, if it's a second laptop, it could be right there with the other computer anyway.

Might still want to do it though if you wanted to control everything from one keyboard and mouse and on a possibly higher resolution screen. I'm controlling 8 systems from one with two screens so I have headroom when it comes to account logins.

Also if its just audio and you don't sign out but just switch accounts there's a good chance the audio will still work though you won't be able to control it unless you switch back to the other account. Works in W7 and XP, can't say for sure in W8.

Thanks
    F.U.N. downtown,

I think the OP stipulated that he wanted to watch video. But, yeah, audio does work when using Fast User Switching, although not always.
    Fact of Life:

Terry Pratchett

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks guys, just having Audio isn't ideal as I use JRiver in Theatre View, I control it via a remote. I think it is something I am just going to have to live with for now.
    I have noticed though that JRiver is listed in the services in task manager.