Super Moderator
    Thanks

The Windows Store is a Cesspool of Scams — Why Doesn’t Microsoft Care?

Quite shameful really; Apple and Google get it right, but Microsoft ...

The Windows Store is a Cesspool of Scams — Why Doesn’t Microsoft Care? (at How-To Geek)

If Microsoft want to move past the debacle of the Jekyll and Hyde UI in Windows 8, they need to clean this up before Windows 9 appears on the scene shortly.

Bruce

Thanks
    From your link
    Microsoft hasn’t been encouraging quality apps. Instead, they just want quantity. In March, 2013, Microsoft ran a promotion where they paid developers $100 for each app they submitted to the Windows Store or Windows Phone Store. They paid up to $2000 to each developer. Here’s the page from Archive.org describing the “Keep The Cash” promotion. Microsoft has scrubbed the official pages about this from their MSDN website.

So, if you’re a developer who spent months creating an amazing app, you only got $100. if you’re a developer who could pump out twenty terrible apps in a few weeks, you’d get $2000. Microsoft’s promotion encouraged developers to do the minimum amount of possible work and create a bunch of bad apps.

We don’t know for sure whether any of these scam apps netted their developers some bonus money from Microsoft. But we can see that Microsoft’s attitude towards the Windows Store is quantity over quality. They just want a large number of apps without caring how good they actually are.

Microsoft trumpeted reaching 100,000 apps, then 200,000 apps, and then finally 400,000 apps in April, 2014. (This is for the Windows Store and Windows Phone Store combined.) They want a large number of apps so they can talk about how big the Windows Store is. If they actually removed all these scam apps, their store would be smaller.
    I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for improvement.

Jerry

Thanks
    I'd love to see the Windows fanboys try and defend this one. Even more I'd love to see M$ try and crawl out of this one.

P.S: That screenshot in the article, was unbelievable. Gonna try typing VLC on my Win 8 PC's Store app. Let's see if I can beat HTG's 204 apps.

P.S.2: This one nearly made me laugh.

Capture.PNG

You get a free and open-source app. AND you also get to pay for it, before installing it. Truly, we Windows 8 customers are blessed. So many options. Why do people hate M$, I just don't understand.
    Last edited by KritzX; 2014-08-17 at 13:04.
    Fact of Life:

“Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.”
    Terry Pratchett

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, MS set the standard with their video and especially photo app early on. Microsoft was part of the effort to get a landfill in New Mexico dug up to see if the mass Atari game cartridge burial rumor was true or not. Or, were they just looking to make room for W8?...hmmm.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Investors take note

Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    Quite shameful really; Apple and Google get it right, but Microsoft ...

The Windows Store is a Cesspool of Scams — Why Doesn’t Microsoft Care? (at How-To Geek)

If Microsoft want to move past the debacle of the Jekyll and Hyde UI in Windows 8, they need to clean this up before Windows 9 appears on the scene shortly.

Bruce
    You beat me by a mile on linking this, which I got the same place you did, but the mainstream and especially the financial press needs to pick up on this. That will teach Microsoft a lesson far more swiftly than we mere consumers ever will.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for improvement.
    On the other hand ...

Microsoft removes more than 1,500 apps from the Windows Store in an attempt to address scam apps

Quote Originally Posted by KritzX View Post
    Even more I'd love to see M$ try and crawl out of this one.
    They're doing their best:

How we’re addressing misleading apps in Windows Store

Bruce