Thanks

Using XP-only printers with a Windows 7 virtual XP machine

There is some previous material about this HERE.

I have three HP Business InkJet 2800 printers that I use to print a quarterly newsletter. There do not seem to be any Windows 7 64-bit drivers for this printer, though there is some information around that there are, or might be, or something like that. After extensive searching, I haven't been able to find any Business InkJet 2800 driver that works with Windows 7.

These printers work fine with XP drivers on XP machines, but I'm taking my last XP machine out of service.

I have a Windows 7 machine that includes a virtual XP machine. That could be the solution to my problem, but I'm not able to get the virtual XP machine to load the XP drivers for my printers. Who can help?
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    What virtual machine are you using? I put VMware player on my sister's Windows 7 so she could use a scanner that wasn't supported in 64 bit windows. I found it worked best to boot the VM then connect the scanner.
    Joe

Administrator
    Thanks
    See How to Use 32-Bit Drivers in Windows XP Mode in Windows 7. Are these the steps you've been using?

Also, see Installing USB Drivers for use in XP Mode. You must make sure that you've enabled the USB ports in Virtual PC.

Joe

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lou Sander View Post
    I have three HP Business InkJet 2800 printers that I use to print a quarterly newsletter. There do not seem to be any Windows 7 64-bit drivers for this printer, though there is some information around that there are, or might be, or something like that. After extensive searching, I haven't been able to find any Business InkJet 2800 driver that works with Windows 7.
    The last time you raised this issue a year ago, four separate replies (including specific HP support links) indicated that the necessary drivers for this model printer are already included in Windows 7.

The few limitations mentioned by HP are minor and workarounds are even detailed for those.

Did you ever try connecting one of these printers to Windows 7?

Bruce
    Last edited by BruceR; 2014-08-18 at 09:07.

Thanks
    BruceR - I have worked with this extensively, with zero results. Part of the problem may be that in my original post I misidentified the printer as a LaserJet rather than a Business InkJet.

It is an HP Business InkJet 2800, Model C8174A.

I have many times seen the assertion that these drivers are included in Windows 7, and that there are workarounds for various shortcomings. I am having a hard time believing any of it, since none of my efforts to take advantage of them have paid off, or have even shown a hint of working.

I think I will start again from the beginning and see what happens. Operator error can be a hard thing to recognize and overcome, and maybe I have a particularly bad case of it in this instance.

I'll start with JoeP517's links above.
    Last edited by Lou Sander; 2014-08-20 at 09:13.
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,153 Times in 1,062 Posts
    There are good enough solutions posted here for Windows 7 drivers (there is what seems a good solution using two HP drivers for different printers): http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer...2#.U_SuePldWap

I personally wouldn't buy HP Printers. They seem to rank very low in terms of new OS driver support. I say this with some regret, as I still have a working HP 970CXi that I bought many years ago and worked brilliantly for a number of years, but HP seems to have changed for the worse. They also seem severely out of touch with the market - competitors provide two page automatic printing in entry level printers, while you have a hard time finding such feature in even higher level HP printers.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I was looking for software for a different model and came across this in Windows Update [Add a printer in Devices and Printers]:
    HPBi2800.jpg

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Berton For This Useful Post:

BruceR (2014-08-21)

Thanks

Sheesh!

I crafted a detailed description of the situation, and somehow it didn't get posted. I'll try again.

The forums are full of horror stories about people who are trying to use Business InkJet 2800 printers with Windows 7. They have spent many hours and much money (with HP Support people), all with marginally satisfactory results at best. My application requires all the capabilities of these printers, especially the use of 11x17 paper in the add-on 250-sheet paper tray. I will give one more try at using the HP 2500C PostScript driver (one guy had great success with it), then I will never again spend a minute of my precious life trying to drive these printers from Windows 7.

I AM, however, very interested in making them work with the Windows XP virtual machine. Here's where I am with it:

1. I have installed the Windows Virtual PC from Microsoft, and it seems to run XP pretty well.
    2. I have installed Chrome on the virtual XP machine, and can use it to browse the web, download files to the XP machine, etc.
    3. I can use XP's Windows Media Player 9 to play a song that doesn't exist anywhere on my network except on the XP virtual machine. I cannot access this song from elsewhere in my network, giving me assurance that the two machines are indeed independent.
    4. I can play the song through my USB headphones, giving me the idea that the USB ports are working, at least to some extent.
    5. The Business InkJet software, which I downloaded long ago, shows up on the XP machine. When I try to run the Toolbox, I get a message that the printer driver isn't installed.
    6. In XP mode, I can create a document in Notepad and save it to my XP desktop. I can't print it anywhere, though, since no printers are installed in the XP machine.
    7. I can't install any printer on the XP machine, either at the USB port or through a wireless connection. The installation proceeds partway, then stops.

My next challenge is to get ANY printer to work from the virtual XP machine. I have two printers on my network, but the XP machine doesn't seem to recognize them.

I seek advice and assistance in installing a printer on the virtual XP machine.
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

Administrator
    Thanks
    Have you checked the event logs in XP to see if there is more information on the install failure?

Do you have the USB ports enabled in XP mode?

Joe

Thanks
    I don't know how to check the event logs.

I don't know how to tell if the USB ports are enabled. As described above, they seem to be working for my headphones. At the top of the XP screen, there is a drop-down menu labeled USB. When I drop it down, it shows my headset and a USB camera that are attached to USB ports. I imagine that means the USB ports are enabled, but I have no real knowledge of it.
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

Administrator
    Thanks
    To check the Event logs, right click "My Computer" and select "Manage". When the Computer Management applet opens click the plus sign next to "Event Viewer" in the left pane. Click on both the "Application" and "System" logs to look for errors pertaining to the install.

Did you follow the steps in either or both of the articles in post #3?

Joe

13. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

Lou Sander (2014-08-20)

Thanks
    Well, JoeP517, you are quite the helpful fellow!

I just finished printing two documents from my virtual XP machine. I seem to have all the Business InkJet 2800 features available -- I printed a letter sized document from Tray 1, and an 11x17 from Tray 2.

I don't know exactly what happened to enable all this. The first of two references in post #3 was useful, and I think I had done all those steps already and maybe forgot. The second reference was confusing and somehow my USB ports were enabled previously.

Whatever the reason, in the end it all worked out. Thanks to everyone for their advice.
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

Administrator
    Thanks
    Great!! Glad you got it working.

Joe