Lounger
    Thanks

Sharing custom ribbons in Word 2013

I've created some templates with a custom ribbon. I want to share this ribbon without doing an "export/import" and destroying the custom ribbons the other users may have created.

I did create an additional "Normal.dotm" with a different name that we will add to their Word Start up.

I do not have Visio. Any help for me?

Thanks.
    Char Q
    Pacific NW

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    The custom ribbon created in the User Interface cannot be exported without trashing customization upon import. The customizations are NOT stored in normal.dotm.

You can create a custom ribbon in a template or document by editing the XML. This is not a minor undertaking but can be done. Modifying the QAT for a template or document is far easier. QAT modifications to a template or document can be done within the Word user interface.

http://addbalance.com/word/ribbonmodification.htm
    http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/word_tip_p...bbon_main.html

RibbonX: Customizing the Office 2007 Ribbon - by Robert Martin, Ken Puls, and Theresa Hennig

Other customizations (macros, keyboard shortcuts) can easily be stored in a Global Template or in a document template or document. If you use a custom ribbon to refer to those, you would do the ribbon customization to the same document/template.
    Last edited by Charles Kenyon; 2014-08-18 at 11:29.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I use a customized Word ribbon, making it look much simpler, more like 2003. Wish I could import it to Excel.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by miztrniceguy View Post
    I use a customized Word ribbon, making it look much simpler, more like 2003. Wish I could import it to Excel.
    Have you tried double-clicking on the Ribbon, which hides the contents, leaving the tabs, which function much like menus?
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    No but thanks for the tip