Thanks

Barcodes in Excel

It has been a while but I have a project I hope someone can help me out with. I am working on a project where I need to track our patients via a barcode. We have a system that prints out the patient's barcode on a sheet of labels (12) but it would require that I scan the sheet to an image then cut and paste into my spreadsheet. Is there a way that Excel can generate a barcode image based on their account number entered? Each patient has a 10 digit account number.

TIA,
    Lexi

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Lexi,

I wrote a program for work to do IT inventory using barcodes a while back. Here is an easy read for you to gain a background. I will post the file if I can remote in otherwise I will post tomorrow.

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com...adgets/upc.htm

HTH,
    Maud

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maudibe For This Useful Post:

Lexi (2014-09-21),wavy (2014-09-30)

Thanks

6. The Following User Says Thank You to rollis13 For This Useful Post:

Lexi (2014-09-21)

Thanks
    Lexi,

Here is a version of my Excel file which I removed all the personal and unnecessary components but left what you need to do. You simply enter the code into the text box or you can scan into the textbox as well. You will need to enter 11 digits. Since your patient account number has only 10, you can add a zero in the front or at the end. The 12th digit is a calculated checksum which the program will create to make sure the code was read correctly. When the digits are entered, click create BC and the barcode will be created below it. If the barcode is acceptable, then click the Accept button. The barcode will be placed on the next available line. You can modify the headers to suit your need. A BMP file of the code will also be created in the same directory as the Excel file if you should ever need to import it into another program or whatever. I have also created a supplementary code that enables you print the labels but it sounds a though you have that part covered.

If you need help integrating it into your spreadsheet, let me know.

Maud
    barcoding.png
    Attached Files Attached Files

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Maudibe For This Useful Post:

Lexi (2014-09-21)

Thanks
    Maud,

Thank you so much for your reply. I read the website that you linked to and it was an excellent source to find out how barcodes work. I will download your file. From your pic, it is very similar to what I want to do except I will be entering patient data.

rolis,
    I haven't had a chance to visit your site yet but I will. Thank you for the post.

Lexi

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Make sure you use the correct type of barcode - there are lots of different types and identifying the one you use can be tricky.

cheers, Paul

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

Lexi (2014-09-23)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Maud,

Any chance you could post that print code or an explianation. This is something I would like to eventually integrate into my project as well.

Jay

Thanks
    Hey Maud,

This is very exciting. I was able to create the barcodes but when I accepted them, I got an error message that the forder did not exist. I also got a message when opening that it could not link to the files. I am guessing that it is because of the pictures you included in the file need to come from the same missing folder. The barcodes that we did produce scanned nicely. I will be drawing on your talent for a few modifications if you don't mind.

Lexi

Thanks
    Lexi,

You are correct. When I saved the file, I saved it with embedded BMPs of the barcodes linked to files on my computer. I have posted a version here without them. As you create your own barcodes, they will be saved in the same folder as the workbook itself. You will not see that message.

Feel free to let me know how I can help.
    Maud
    Attached Files Attached Files

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Maudibe For This Useful Post:

Lexi (2014-09-23)

Thanks
    Maudibe,

This works perfectly!!!! I have private messaged you to provide my email address so that hopefully you could provide yours. If I send you my .xlsb file, can you take a look how to integrate it? My columns do not line up with yours. I have removed all the data due to HIPAA regulations.

Thank you so much,
    Lexi

Thanks
    Lexi,

I made the alterations by adding buttons at the bottom that will automate the assigning of the documents. Also, the image of the barcodes are now accessible on the CQM sheet. Let me know if that speeds up the workflow. Are the barcodes on the documents scanned before or after the patient's bracelet?

Maud

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Maudibe For This Useful Post:

Lexi (2014-09-29)

Thanks
    Hi Maud,

Yes, the workflow is much smoother and the buttons save several mouse clicks. We have implemented the project and all is going well thanks to you!

All the best,
    Lex