Thread: Freeze Pane

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Freeze Pane

Hi there -

In Excel, you make a row appear permanently at the top of your screen despite how far down you scroll. I believe this is called "pane freezing."

Is this possible to do in Word with a table? Specifically, it'd be great, when printing a table that runs onto multiple pages, if the header row would appear at the top of each page.

(This discussion on Microsoft.com says "no," but I wonder if there's been any progress on this front in the past three years?)

Here's a quick-and-dirty screen shot of what I mean:

Untitled.png

Thanks a ton!

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    I think your only option is to put an Excel table in your Word document.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    There is a table property that allows the first row(s) to automatically repeat on subsequent pages. You set this by selecting the first table row and right clicking that row and choosing Table Properties > Row > Repeat as header row at the top of each page. You can do this to more than one row but it must always include the first row.

This setting is available in each of the table styles and is often turned on by default. Note that if you are using the table style to get this behaviour then you must also ensure that the table includes the setting for Table Tools > Design > Table Style Options > Header Row

If you don't want this behaviour to happen in the printout but instead just work on screen then you can split the window and scroll the two parts independently.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Lockton For This Useful Post:

Jon5 (2014-08-30)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Andrew - Thank you so, so much for this tip. It's exactly what I needed! (Though, just to clarify, it appears this option is turned *off* by default.) Thanks again!

Untitled.png

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Jon

It is only turned off by default because that is the setting on the default table style you are using. If you modify that particular table style then you will discover the 'default' changes.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon5 View Post
    (This discussion on Microsoft.com says "no," but I wonder if there's been any progress on this front in the past three years?)
    Word has had the table header rows feature for at least two decades. That is a quite separate issue from pane freezing of the kind Excel uses. Even in Excel, freezing a pane doesn't turn it into a header row.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]