New Lounger
    Thanks

Unresponsive Icons

I have asked this same question in the Access area but did not get a resolution. I am hoping I will have better luck with the Windows guys. Don't let me down.

I have a weird issue with my file and shortcut icons assoiciated with MS Access.

I will try to deliniate my issue by using a numbered list so as to be the least confusing as possible. Believe me I have confused even the Microsoft Help Chat people with this.

1. I post multiuser front ends on a shared drive inside my intranet.
    2. I encourage users to navigate to the folder and file using the windows navigatior. Some continue to use shortcuts (lnk files) . I have seen those do some weird things when trying to get a file up. Especially when the network is down.
    3. Recently (since Office 2010 and Windows 7 upgrades) if the file is already in useMS Access file icons become "unresponsive" to clicking. This includes the shortcut icons.
    4. This didn't happen prior to the upgrades, 15 years working in this enviroment.
    5. The icons do not give an error message and are not grayed out, they are just "unresponsive".
    6. The files are multiuser files. The files are easily opened inside of access even when they are open by another user.
    7. All file proporties are the same as they have always been and all of the shortcuts are "targeted" correctly.
    8. I have witnessed this on other users Desk Tops under their log ons.

Any clues out there?

I am stumped. My network people have no clue either

Thanks
    I'm not sure about Access specifically, but I can tell you a general rule I have for Windows icons which in my view always guarantees that they will work.

The Target of the icon's properties should always be in the format <program path and name> <Item you want to open with that program>

So, in the case of web browsing, if I want to browse, say, to the Windows Secrets forums with Internet Explorer 64-bit, I will put the following as my target (including the quotes):
    "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" https://windowssecrets.com/forums/login.php?do=login

In the case of MS Access, if I wanted to open up a database called c:\mydata\mydata.mdb, I would put the following as the target:
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office12\MSACCESS.EXE" c:\mydata\mydata.mdb

In this way you are guaranteeing that the desired database will be opened with the desired program.

If the above method doesn't fix the problem, then I would say that a program name or path has changed since you did the upgrades. For example, you will notice that in my above example, "Office12" is part of the path for MS Access. Perhaps it should be "Office13" or "Office14" for your network.

Or perhaps one of the machines that must be accessed in this process has malware or some other issue.
    Last edited by mrjimphelps; 2014-08-19 at 16:35.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Not sure if this .bat will do it for your folders but you could give it a try http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...e-rebuild.html