5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

SATA Drives in External Enclosures

I've pulled hard drives from a number of dead PC's and put them in external enclosures so friends or clients could recover files. The drives had all been IDE until recently, and would show up as USB-connected devices on the PC they were connected to. I could show the drive owners how to do the standard USB ejection procedure before powering the drive down and disconnecting it.

The last two drives I've worked with, though, have been SATA. When they are plugged into a PC, they are not showing up as USB-connected. Is there some reason this should be happening? I know it's not a good thing to unplug an externally-connected drive if it is still being written to, and the only way I can be sure that isn't happening is to shut the PC down before disconnecting the drive.

Thanks
    I haven't had any recognition issues using a SATA drive in a USB Dock.

Jerry

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    I haven't had any recognition issues using a SATA drive in a USB Dock.

Jerry
    I'm not having an issue with the PC's recognizing the drives, the problem is getting them to "let go" of the drives <grin>. Can you eject the drives the normal way USB devices are done?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JJDetroit View Post
    I'm not having an issue with the PC's recognizing the drives, the problem is getting them to "let go" of the drives <grin>. Can you eject the drives the normal way USB devices are done?
    I use a SATA 3.0 HDD enclosure for cloning and I eject the drive in the normal way. There are times though that I have to wait for it to be "Safely Removed" because system programs/resources are still active.
    Generally when that happens, it doesn't take too long so I just keep trying until it is safe to remove. If it takes a really long time though (as you said you did ) just shutdown the computer before removing it.
    HTH

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Once in awhile I get the message it can't be unplugged when working in Windows Explorer or File Explorer but usually clicking on a different driver then right-clicking the desired drive then Eject works. Windows seems to think the drive is still in use when the data on it is shown in the right panel.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Do you use the same USB to SATA enclosure? It may the the enclosure that is at issue.

cheers, Paul

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You can set quick removal or make sure the safe eject icon is always on in the system tray (and see if some misbehaving app is holding up the drive's stopping).

You definitely do not want to remove the drive if something is still writing to it. Usually if this breaks the drive plugging it back in and safely ejecting it will fix the drive (but not any file that was incompletely transferred (copied) like an image backup.