Star Lounger
    Thanks

Missing Drivers for Ethernet & Network Controllers

Hi,

I reloaded Windows XP with SP3 on a Dell Inspiron 600m. I found drivers on Dell web site for chipset, Audio and modem. Could not find drivers for the Ethernet & Network controllers. How can I find which drivers I need?

Thanks for your help.

Bob

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I found this on the Dell website http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/...n-600m/drivers. Look under Network. You will have to match up your network card with the list.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Everything still seems to be there on the Dell support site, so I'm not sure how you could have missed the network drivers if you found the others.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I am sorry I was not clear in my statement. Dell Service Tag is H3FHY41

In Device Manager I had Ethernet Controller & Network Controller missing

Under network I have 4 choices
    1.Broadcom 570x Gigabit Integrated Controller, v.8.27.1, A03 View details
    R107518.EXE | Hard-Drive (4 MB)
    Version 8.27.1,A03

2.Dell TrueMobile 1400 WLAN, TrueMobile 1300 MPCI Card , TrueMobile 1300 PCMCIA, Wireless 1350 WLAN MiniPCI Card, Wireless 1450 WLAN miniPCI Card, v.1.0a, A00 View details
    R72171.EXE | Hard-Drive (6 MB)

3.Broadcom 570x Gigabit Integrated Controller, v.6.13, A04 View details
    R62710.EXE | Hard-Drive (9 MB)

4.Broadcom 570x Gigabit Integrated Controller, v.6.5.7 CAB, A01 View details
    R54404.EXE | Hard-Drive (16 MB)

I installed #3 first. This seemed newer than #4
    # 2 is just documentation
    Then I installed #1 This one cleared the Ethernet Controller missing in Device Manager

Still have network controller missing listed in Device Manager

Sorry for the confusion
    Thank you for your help
    Bob

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Dell only puts the latest driver on the Drivers summary page, so contrary to appearances there are not newer/older versions of the same thing. You need to dig into "View details" to differentiate the files. When you do that you'll notice that R62710 is "Broadcom Advanced Control Suite Windows GUI Diagnostics", while R54404 is "Windows XP User Documentaton" (sic). Neither is a driver (and neither is necessary). As you discovered, R107518 is the gigabit ethernet driver.

Drill down similarly for your wifi. According to the Dell site and your service tag no, your 600m originally shipped with a Dell 1350 mini-PCI card. (If your mini-PCI card was swapped out at some later point, just open the door on the bottom of the laptop and read the mini-PCI card's label to identify which card you have.) From the Dell drivers page you'll see two items mentioning 1350, of which R72171 is documentation and R151519 is the driver.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi,

I installed the R151519 Driver. That cleared the missing network controller in Device Manager. Thank you Thank you!!

After rebooting I was able to connect to my WiFi network. Then I got the BSOD followed by a reboot then another BSOD reboot cycle. the reboot is immediately after the BSOD so fast that I can not read anything about the BSOD, This is the same cycle I was in when I started down the reformating reinstalling Win XP etc. path.

Most likely the problem is hardware related to the WiFi card (WLAN 1350)? Is that card easily replaced?? Expensive?

Thank you very much for your detailed help

Bob

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't have any clues as to what may be the cause. To verify a cause-and-effect relationship, you might try removing the mini-PCI card and seeing if that stops the BSODs. It's a simple 2-minute job, and about as easy as removing or inserting a RAM module--see the manual online if you need guidance.

If you do establish that the mini-PCI is the culprit, you have a few options:

(1) You can remove it and instead use a USB wifi adapter;

(2) You can remove it and instead use a PCMCIA wifi card plugged into the PCMCIA slot on the side of your laptop;

(3) You can replace the mini-PCI card.

Option 2 is more universal than 3 (it's not model-specific and can be used on any laptop with the then-ubiquitous PCMCIA connector), but both rely on old connector types so it may be difficult to find anything other than used parts.

Option 1 is the most universally compatible (because they can still be used with modern computers). Also, it may be more difficult with the older hardware types to find drivers that support current wifi standards such as WPA2 and AES, whereas you can expect that from just about any current USB wifi adapter.

edit: BTW, forgot to mention that you might want to confirm you really do have a 1350 card. Mismatched card/driver might be a cause for BSODs. Open the door on the bottom of the laptop and you should be able to confirm the mini-PCI model.
    Last edited by dg1261; 2014-08-21 at 17:26. Reason: added caution to confirm current card

Thanks
    The BSOD, assuming it is related to the networking stack, could be hardware (the mini PCI card), it could be related to old security software remnants, file (System or otherwise) corruption, or another driver (3rd party but not necessarily network/security-related) causing a conflict or in-memory corruption.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    You can go into msinfo32/Components/Network/Adapter and that will list what your computer is using and making a note of the PCI VEN & DEV numbers will ID their drivers.

This will look something like PCI\VEN_10EC & DEV8136 and entering 10EC into Vendor and then 8136 into Device in http://www.pcidatabase.com/ will produce a number of possibilities and if you enter mine into that site, it will show my Realtek Ethernet LAN driver.

If you boot up into Safe Mode without any of the other options, your Network drivers won't be loaded and if that was the cause of the BSOD, then that won't occur.

You can then make a note of the VEN&DEV Nos for your Network drivers - uninstall the wireless one in Device Manager or Programs and Features - reboot and just use the LAN to go online to the manufacturer's site for the drivers - or download and save them onto another machine and then copy them across with something like a Flash drive.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-08-22 at 04:55.